• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Searching for answers I came across this post

http://askubuntu.com/questions/70365...e-with-nouveau

Ubuntu 14.04 live usb won't boot, seems incompatible with nouveau

THE QUESTION
    Ubuntu 14.04 live usb won't boot, seems incompatible with nouveau
    So it's seems to be a fairly common problem that ubuntu live usbs won't run because they lack the necessary nvidia drivers. I have a geforce gtx 960 and when I try to run the live usb I see a lot of nouveau errors. I have a couple of questions:

Is there an older version of ubuntu that doesn't have this issue? Is there a way to try out just the terminal from the live usb and install the necessary drivers on a persistent image and then try the install?

SOLUTION
    Boot from the Ubuntu installation USB media you already have created.
    Select (highlight) "Try Ubuntu without installing" and press the E key.
    Add the parameter "nouveau.modeset=0" to the end of the linux line.
    Then press the F10 key for booting into the Ubuntu Live desktop.

Now you can explore Ubuntu - when you decide to install Ubuntu, do the same when booting the system for the first time. After having installed the NVIDIA drivers, this is not necessary anymore

I'm pleased to say that doing this allowed me to boot into a Live session which didn't freeze.
    The graphics were basic but quite adequate for diagnostics, installation etc
    So I will mark this as SOLVED
    ...but i still feel that a newcomer to Kubuntu encountering this problem would probably leave thinking that installation of this OS was too complicated to achieve.

The point is that some nvidia graphics cards and [K]ubuntu Live media just don't get along at this time.
    I believe this has been an issue for quite a while.
    The problem is not beyond working around but could be difficult for someone unused to the system.

Thanks to those who made suggestions for ways to deal with this issue
    It all helped to give me direction and to eliminate things which might have been the cause of the difficulty.
    I was then able to reform my question which took me to the answer.
    Last edited by bobbicat; May 01, 2016, 03:11 AM.

Comment

Perhaps this thread should be moved to a more appropriate part of the Forum?

Comment

Working...
      X