X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Package Installer - Cannot satisfy dependancies

Hi there,

Hopefully, this question isn't as embarrassingly stupid as the one I asked before ...

Anyway, to get my Epson XP-600 to work in Linux is to download and install a couple of .deb files from the Epson Support site. These have installed and worked with every single disro of Linux I've tried recently - and believe me, I've tried many recently after getting bored with Windows and wanted to be more 'hands-on' with my computer a bit like I was in the Amiga days - ah, memories...

Anyway, on Kubuntu 16.04 I can't install them I just get a message from the Package Installer stating Error: Cannot satisfy dependencies

I've included a couple of screengrabs so you can see what I'm blathering about.

Could you please help with this one, I need to be able to use my printer on Kubuntu and I don't want to be forced into using a different distro.

Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 25, 2016, 11:34 AM.

I have similar problems from time to time. Notice the Details tab. It might tell you what dependency(s) is/are missing.

Because Kubuntu 16.04 is a Beta, still in development stages, perhaps that file isn't perfected yet. There are thousands of printers out there that have to have drivers created for them to work in Linux machines. That coward microsoft has made sure of that.

If you spent time in Kubuntu 14.04 LTS, and I assume you have, (when you mentioned the other distributions you have tried) most everything currently in use in Kubuntu 16.04 has been more or less perfected in Kubuntu 14.04 LTS.

If you find that the drivers are not yet perfected in K16.04, you might separate a part of your HDD and install K14.04 LTS for your important activities. You can still work in the cutting edge Beta Kubuntu 16.04 while they are perfecting things, and still have more security in your Operating System.

The only thing I can see that you could do that would be really stupid would be to return to Windows just because a Linux Beta isn't ready to meet all of your computing needs. You never know, they may include the needed dependency in tomorrows update and the problem is solved.

Download and create either a DVD or a USB ISO of Kubuntu 14.04 LTS and open the trial version. Do not install, just try it. Try the printer out after fulfilling any configuration that may or may not come up. It is likely that it will work without further effort.

If it works, IMHO you should partition your HDD and install Kubuntu 14.04 LTS. It is a perfect time to do so, because the last Operating System installed becomes first on the list to boot. If not familiar with the process, get help here on the forum.

Definitely do not go back to Windows; tough it out in Kubuntu, or any other Linux distribution, until you are comfortable with the differences. You will be glad you did. It is that way for all who persist. Good Luck, friend Shab

Originally posted by Iridium View Post
    Hi there,

Hopefully, this question isn't as embarrassingly stupid as the one I asked before ...

Anyway, to get my Epson XP-600 to work in Linux is to download and install a couple of .deb files from the Epson Support site. These have installed and worked with every single disro of Linux I've tried recently - and believe me, I've tried many recently after getting bored with Windows and wanted to be more 'hands-on' with my computer a bit like I was in the Amiga days - ah, memories...

Anyway, on Kubuntu 16.04 I can't install them I just get a message from the Package Installer stating Error: Cannot satisfy dependencies

I've included a couple of screengrabs so you can see what I'm blathering about.

Could you please help with this one, I need to be able to use my printer on Kubuntu and I don't want to be forced into using a different distro.

Comment

First off, Epson is normally even better supported than most HP printers.

Install GDebi-kde and see if it will manage the dependencies, it's often a little smarter than QApt.

Or use the CLI (Command Line Interface) in Konsole:
      Btw, when in Dolphin and looking at the deb file in question you can hit F4 and get a nice terminal right there.
      Code:
      sudo dpkg -i packagename.deb
      It will give you the urgently needed feedback on what is missing.

Comment

Epson printer, driver & lsb

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
        First off, Epson is normally even better supported than most HP printers.

Install GDebi-kde and see if it will manage the dependencies, it's often a little smarter than QApt.
        Many thanks for the reply and help.

According to GDebi:

Code:
        [COLOR=#ff0000]Error: Dependency is Not Satisfiable: [/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000]lsb[/COLOR][COLOR=#ff0000] (>=3.2)[/COLOR]
        So, I guess I need to install lsb - but I have no idea where to get it from and how to install it.

Many, many thanks for the help for this total Linux newbie!

Regards,

Steve

Comment

To all: Note that the package the OP is trying to install is not one from any of the standard Ubuntu repositories, nor a Ubuntu .deb file from Epson; it's a converted RPM package (converted using Alien). Sometimes such converted packages will install just fine, but not always. What RPM expectes to be present/required on the system isn't necessarily going to be what Ubuntu expects.

I just checked Espon's driver site and searched for the XP-600. This following link has the driver I believe he needs:

http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/se...h/searchModule

One of the first two on the list is what he wants. Myself, I'd try the second one, as it is the newest. But, if it were me, I'd download both just in case.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            To all: Note that the package the OP is trying to install is not one from any of the standard Ubuntu repositories, nor a Ubuntu .deb file from Epson; it's a converted RPM package (converted using Alien). Sometimes such converted packages will install just fine, but not always. What RPM expectes to be present/required on the system isn't necessarily going to be what Ubuntu expects.

I just checked Espon's driver site and searched for the XP-600. This following link has the driver I believe he needs:

http://download.ebz.epson.net/dsc/se...h/searchModule

One of the first two on the list is what he wants. Myself, I'd try the second one, as it is the newest. But, if it were me, I'd download both just in case.
            Many thanks again for your help. I downloaded the drivers from the above address, but came across the same problem as before - Error: Dependency is Not Satisfiable: lsb (>=3.2)

I've even tried different distros of *ubuntu but have the same problem

Any more ideas, please?

Thank you.

Comment

Yeah, lsb-core isn't in 16.04 -- but it should be. You can download the package at http://packages.ubuntu.com/wily/lsb-core at the bottom of the page. Click on amd64 if your system is 64-bit, or i386 if it's 32-bit. This is the lsb-core package for Wily (15.10) but should install just fine.

Comment

Muon tells me lsb-core is installed, is it maybe because this computer was updated from 15.10?

Comment

I believe that is so, as here, with a fresh installation of 16.04 (.iso package date of 4-21-2016), lsb-core isn't installed and isn't available.

Comment

Weird, to check I just booted two different fresh installs of about 3-4 weeks old and both show lsb-core.
                    And I'm pretty sure I didn't jump through loops to install it.

Not that it matters for Iridium, it's needed and he'll have to download it from 15.10.

Comment

Weird, to check I just booted two different fresh installs of about 3-4 weeks old and both show lsb-core.
                      And I'm pretty sure I didn't jump through loops to install it.

Not that it matters for Iridium, it's needed and he'll have to download it from 15.10.
                      did you not put muon on those systems ?

if so wasn't that part of hacking it back in ?

VINNY
                      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                      16GB RAM
                      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

No, the only thing needed to get Muon proper back was to remove libmuon which also takes out Muon Discovery, good riddance.

Comment

No, the only thing needed to get Muon proper back was to remove libmuon which also takes out Muon Discovery, good riddance.
                          Humm something has changed ,,,,, maybe because I'm using Neon ,,,,,,,,,,but now muon will install on my 16.04 without removing anything.

VINNY
                          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                          16GB RAM
                          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                            Yeah, lsb-core isn't in 16.04 -- but it should be. You can download the package at http://packages.ubuntu.com/wily/lsb-core at the bottom of the page. Click on amd64 if your system is 64-bit, or i386 if it's 32-bit. This is the lsb-core package for Wily (15.10) but should install just fine.
                            I tried to install lsb-core, that but ended up with yet another load of Dependency problems!

Decided to try Linux Mint - printer installed instantly!

It's a real pity because I really wanted to use Kubuntu!

Comment

Mint is a great OS, son of Kubuntu, with a few twists. Just move the artwork over and you, with a little getting used to, will think you are in the same Distro Shab

Comment

Working...
                              X