This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VBox upgrade now no konsole and menu's diappear and apps not loading

Hello. First off I am a linux noob and a kubuntu noob. Any and all commands I have run have been courtesy of the 'net. If you can offer suggestions/support/desperately needed help please make the steps as easy to understand as possible.

I installed Kubuntu 15.04 about 2 week ago on VirtualBox and everything seemed to be fine. I did the "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" to move to 16.04. Now it's weird. When I *first* login to Kubuntu from the VBox window, it always goes to text login (asking for "username"). I shut down the VBox and restart Kubuntu and it goes to the graphical login in screen. While it's a pain I can deal with it.

Here's where it's strange. There is a menu bar across the bottom showing the "K" menu. When I mouse over it, I see the initial menu options. This is not set up for the default (where it's full screen) but rather the traditional menu layout (main category -> subcategory -> sub-subcategory). If I put my mouse over one of the main menu category options, the secondary menu options open but the first (main) menu options become invisible. They are still there because if I move my mouse over where they should be the secondary menu options become visible.

Something is definitely weird.

So I type "konsole" and have the option of selection "Konsole" (Application listing?). But when selected the window never opens. None of the windows open. I can use the disappearing menu option to select another program and nothing ever pops up.

So is there something I've done wrong? Or do I need to reinstall 15.04 and ignore 16.04? Is there some way of uninstalling 16.04 (and all the upgrades/etc) and reverting back to 15.04?

I would prefer (if at all possible) to keep 16.04 because I did notice a significant increase is system load/launch time versus the 15.04 buld.

Again, I am a linux noob and if you can offer any help it would be greatly appreciated. If you can offer steps to follow if you could please make them easy to understand that would be even cooler.

Thank you and I hope anyone reading this has a great weekend.

Curious Guy

PS - If it will help I can post a couple of screenshots but I don't know how useful it'll be.

PPS - One other thing I forgot to mention is my VBox settings. Base memory is set to 8 GBs of RAM (from my available 16). I've also got the Video Memory set to the maximum (128 MB) from a 2 GB card. I've also set VBox to run using the dedicated video card. Display Acceleration is set to 3D.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 24, 2016, 10:44 AM.

Sorry, I don't know much about VirtualBox, but I can offer a few comments.
    Originally posted by ACuriousGuy View Post
    ... I installed Kubuntu 15.04 about 2 week ago on VirtualBox and everything seemed to be fine.
    Why 15.04? That's past its end-of-life, on the 4th of February. Maybe you mean 15.10?
    I did the "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" to move to 16.04.
    No, it doesn't do that. apt-get dist-upgrade just upgrades all your packages, slightly more potent than apt-get upgrade, in that it can delete conflicting packages. Did you mean "sudo do-release-upgrade"? That would move you from 15.10 to 16.04. IIUC it would take you from 15.04 to 15.10.

Now it's weird...various weirdness reported...
    Well, IMO your experience is common. Plasma 5 landed in Kubuntu 15.04 IMO in an unstable state, and 15.10 wasn't much better, especially on quirky hardware and release upgraded from 15.04. I would recommend doing a fresh install of 16.04, but I have no VirtualBox experience so I shouldn't recommend anything.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
      Why 15.04? That's past its end-of-life, on the 4th of February. Maybe you mean 15.10?

Did you mean "sudo do-release-upgrade"?
      Yes, you are most likely correct. I want to say it was two weeks ago but it might have been a little longer. It was listed as the current version so it probably was the 15.10 one.

I don't remember a "sudo do-release-upgrade" command so maybe it's not the 16.04 version that I have. I can't test because I can't see anything once the GUI starts. And I don't know enough command line to use that. Being a Noob is troublesome - now i just need to find the "banging my head against a sharp axe" emoticon

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
      I would recommend doing a fresh install of 16.04, but I have no VirtualBox experience so I shouldn't recommend anything.
      I think this is the route I am going to go. Especially being that I'm not sure if I even actually upgraded to 16.04. That's the nice thing about VirtualBox is that I can just do a quick re-intall. I'm hoping that will fix things as I really did like what I saw before the upgrade (or whatever it was that I did wrong).

And I disagree about the not recommending anything because you don't know much about VirtualBox. You stepped up and offered help and advice to a total stranger. That's cool and very much appreciated. Thank you.

Comment

I don't remember a "sudo do-release-upgrade" command so maybe it's not the 16.04 version that I have...
        You wouldn't be the first to be misled by the name of the apt-get "dist-upgrade" command. Rather than apt-get, you might consider using the newer "apt", where they've changed the name to "full-upgrade". The "apt" command has a few other, slightly friendlier touches, like colours and a few more messages.
        You stepped up and offered help and advice to a total stranger. That's cool.
        Just normal for Kubuntuforums.net, which is particularly helpful and friendly as Linux forums go. We have members that have moved on from Kubuntu, but still hang here. Welcome.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Display Acceleration is set to 3D.
          This is why. See https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/14102

Turning off 3D acceleration works for me. Just about the same speed.

Comment

Working...
          X