This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amorok = no / Dragon = yes

Why won't Amarok play my audio cd when Dragon will?
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

From personal experience, Amorok doesn't play nice with audio CDs; it's always been hit or miss.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
      Why won't Amarok play my audio cd when Dragon will?
      This is a known bug in Amarok for KDE4 for years, however the KDE developers are in no rush to fix it.

Amarok for KDE3 did work with CD's and still does. I have Trinity DE (fork of KDE3) on a laptop which has Amarok and it works perfectly with CD's.

If I were you, I'd replace Amarok on KDE4 / Plasma5 with Clementine (which is also a fork of the KDE3 Amarok) and works with CD's.

Comment

@ NickStone It doesn’t show the album information. It just says track #.
        Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

People still use CD's ?

Please Read Me

Comment

@ NickStone It doesn’t show the album information. It just says track #.
            In your original post you asked why Amarok won't play CD's then in your response to my post you hint at Amarok playing CD's but won't display track information. So I'm assuming from your response that it does play CD's?

If it is not displaying track information then it is because Amarok (for whatever reason) is unable to connect to the CDDB server online. Is your computer connected to the net? Have you got any software installed that block data?

There is still a bug in Amarok for Plasma-desktop (KDE4) and I still think you should install Clementine.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              People still use CD's ?

Yes, I do.

Comment

What else would one put their hot cup of coffee/tea on?
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  What else would one put their hot cup of coffee/tea on?
                  Ahhhh, didn't think of that...

...LOL

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
                    In your original post you asked why Amarok won't play CD's then in your response to my post you hint at Amarok playing CD's but won't display track information. So I'm assuming from your response that it does play CD's?

If it is not displaying track information then it is because Amarok (for whatever reason) is unable to connect to the CDDB server online. Is your computer connected to the net? Have you got any software installed that block data?

There is still a bug in Amarok for Plasma-desktop (KDE4) and I still think you should install Clementine.
                    You said to try Clementine. I uninstalled Amarok.

@ oshunluvr, I still use cds and I am sure a lot of people do, especially older people.
                    Last edited by steve7233; Apr 20, 2016, 03:13 PM.

Comment

I was just trying to be funny. Although, since hard drive space is so cheap I ripped my 500+ CD collection to flac files years ago. No more searching for discs or worrying about scratching one. They're all in boxes in the attic.

Please Read Me

Comment

Amarok play's CD's @ hear ,,,,,although it's hit and miss some times.

Dolphin will play CD's and anything elce in the information panel (F11)

if you do not mind compiling/building your own app ,,,,,,QMPlay2 dose it all including youtube and DLing the youtube vid if you like http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php/...content=153339

VINNY
                        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

You said to try Clementine. I uninstalled Amarok.
                          Oh sorry, I completely got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

I know from personal experience of using Clementine that it does display CD track information but you do need it to connect to the net so it can connect to the CDDB server.

If the CD's are professionaly made it could be that the CD does not have an entry in the CDDB. Unfortunatly not every CD has an entry in the CDDB, I have a few CD's that have no information on the CDDB, these are mostly mix CD's that I had bought.

Comment

It's a Hank Willams Jr. 'Bocephas' cd from BMG. Seems like a major country music star should be in the CDDB. I have an Internet connection or I wouldn't be able to view this forum.

Comment

It's a Hank Willams Jr. 'Bocephas' cd from BMG. Seems like a major country music star should be in the CDDB. I have an Internet connection or I wouldn't be able to view this forum.
                              Is this the only CD with the problem? Do other CD's display track information? Under Configure Clementine can you find the CDDB server setting? What does it point to?

Under Amarok for Trinity DE it points to freedb.freedb.org what does Clementine say?

Comment

Working...
                              X