> > Good, schnelle! How did you did it?

> Did what?

Switching to DRI3 and installing intel-microcode
    DRI3 https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l-on-Intel-gpu

Intel-microcode is a package. Install it from muon or
    Code:
    sudo apt install intel-microcode
    and reboot.
    Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

Thank you very much! I'm sure that there will be other people with the same case

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
        The only complaint I have about it is that they removed audio channel switching from the volume widget/system tray icon. That was so useful.
        go to system tray settings and disable the audio widget.

install kmix ,,,,,,,,,kmix still allows this .

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

16.04 is very nice - my compliments to the developers and contributors. So far I'm only missing the KIPI plugins in Gwenview.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
            This is certainly annoying. Fixed it by configuring sudo to keep KDE_SESSION_VERSION and KDE_FULL_SESSION environment variables. (If you're interested in the details, I can post them)
            Thank you kubicle,

Wow, going through posts helps. on my system Kubuntu 16.04 LTS is working like a charm. Absolutely no problems......except Dolphin, kept crashing.

This solution solved my problem.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
              Sure.

First, a word of caution, sudo is really picky about it's config syntax (and config file permissions) and may cease to function if the syntax is wrong. That's why we're adding the config in a root shell (so you can remove the new config file in case it locks sudo...this is not unrecoverable, but it's much easier if you have a root shell open).

1. Open konsole
              2. Start a root shell
              Code:
              sudo -i
              (DON'T CLOSE THIS SHELL UNTIL YOU CONFIRM SUDO WORKS WITHOUT PROBLEMS ONCE YOU'VE COMPLETED)
              3. In the root shell, create a new config file in /etc/sudoers.d
              Code:
              echo "Defaults env_keep += \"KDE_SESSION_VERSION KDE_FULL_SESSION\"" > /etc/sudoers.d/50-my_kde_env
              4. In the root shell, set permissions for the new config file
              Code:
              chmod 0440  /etc/sudoers.d/50-my_kde_env
              5. Confirm that sudo still works (you can start another konsole session or use Alt+f2 and run "kdesudo dolphin"
              6. Once you have confirmed that sudo works, you can exit the root shell ('exit' or Ctrl+d)
              7. Done
              Running 16.04, Plasma Version 5.5.5, Qt Version 5.5.1, Kernel 4.4.0-36-generic (64-bit) on my laptop. I just performed the above (root konsole is still open). I verified that I typed the command correctly. I launched Dolphin with kdesudo and when it opened reported (red banner message) that "The process for the file protocol died unexpectedly."

What did I do wrong?
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

My copy of the sudoers.d/50- file contains
                Defaults env_keep += "KDE_SESSION_VERSION KDE_FULL_SESSION"
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Ah! There's an error in the line kubicle cited. In his entry there isn't a _ between VERSION and KDE. I'll correct that in mine and see if that in fact is the issue.

Thanks!

Added:
                  No, that didn't fix my issue. After correcting (on the assumption, based on your file content, that the missing _ was the issue) and relaunching Dolphin with kdesudo, the issue remains.

Any suggestions/thoughts?

Added:
                  Crap! Never mind. Your entry doesn't have a _ between the the two. I saw what wasn't there. So your entry and my (original; I'll change it back) entry are the same. Something else must be amiss.
                  Last edited by Snowhog; Aug 16, 2016, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Waiting for kubicle to chime in.

Ran kdesudo dolphin from the existing root session konsole. Dolphin still reports the file protocol died message, at which time I closed dolphin. This is what was present in the konsole:
                    root@tanagra:~# kdesudo dolphin
                    QStandardPaths: XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root'
                    QPixmap::scaled: Pixmap is a null pixmap
                    QPainter::begin: Paint device returned engine == 0, type: 2
                    QPainter::begin: Paint device returned engine == 0, type: 2
                    "The process for the trash protocol died unexpectedly."
                    "The process for the trash protocol died unexpectedly."
                    root@tanagra:~#

Comment

Did a Google search on XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root' and came across http://askubuntu.com/questions/76206...tu-15-10-16-04 which had a single reply with a link to a kdesudo bug on KDE Bugtracking System: Bug 353263 - No icons show on root session. unable to assign any too.

Using the workaround cited in reply #7 also works for me; dolphin launches and opens as expected using kdesudo. Icons are present.

So, kubicle, any thoughts as to what may be going on with my system; why your solution doesn't work (but for others here it does), but this workaround does?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                        Did a Google search on XDG_RUNTIME_DIR not set, defaulting to '/tmp/runtime-root' and came across http://askubuntu.com/questions/76206...tu-15-10-16-04 which had a single reply with a link to a kdesudo bug on KDE Bugtracking System: Bug 353263 - No icons show on root session. unable to assign any too.

Using the workaround cited in reply #7 also works for me; dolphin launches and opens as expected using kdesudo. Icons are present.

So, kubicle, any thoughts as to what may be going on with my system; why your solution doesn't work (but for others here it does), but this workaround does?
                        When I run Dolphin as root I get page after page of settings in the konsole, and more as I navigate using Dolphin, but it does run. I added a menu option under System: "Dolphin as ROOT" and as the command I used
                        kdesudo dbus-launch dolphin %u
                        No konsole, no lines of settings.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I too, created an entry in the K Menu -- Root Dolphin -- and used as the Command, the one given in reply #7 of the bug report. Gave it a red folder icon. It runs great.

Comment

I too, created an entry in the K Menu -- Root Dolphin -- and used as the Command, the one given in reply #7 of the bug report. Gave it a red folder icon. It runs great.
                            Red folder icon .... that's a good idea. Thanks!

Comment

The file protocol error is likely a (root) dbus problem with dolphin, not directly related to the environment variables set (you probably wouldn't get the error if you run "kdesudo kate" instead of "kdesudo dolphin"), and using dbus-launch to start dolphin will start a new dbus-daemon for root (which may work around the dbus problem).

[As a side note, dbus-launch will start a new dbus-daemon for root every time it's used, so you can end up having dozens of them running if you use it a lot, if you have a new enough dbus version (1.8+), it's better to use dbus-run-session instead, which will also launch a new dbus-daemon, but this one will exit once you close the application]

Hard to say why only you seem to be having a dbus problem, it could be your dolphin/plasma version, a problem in root's dolphin/kde configs (in /root/) or just a session problem (that could be resolved with a simple relog to reset the session.

Comment

I have already tested kdesudo kate, and it runs without incident. That dolphin doesn't is a bit perplexing, especially given that no one else here has reported the same after setting the environment variables as you described.

It might get auto-magically fixed (for me) with some future package updates; who knows. For now, the K Menu entry I created (Root Dolphin) is a decent solution, and one I can very easily work with.

Comment

Working...
                                X