X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headless Install with TeamViewer

Hi there,

I am trying to get my kubuntu computer to run without a monitor. I've come to find that when the monitor is not plugged in or turned on that the desktop fails to load. I use this computer as a home server and while I am comfortable with CLI and do prefer GUI for most things.

I found some references to using a xserver-xorg-video-dummy, but that just caused all kinds of problems, I think since kubuntu uses sddm and not xorg thats my problem.

There is not a lot of documentation with the plasma 5 setups out there yet and I was hoping somebody could help answer my question.
    Has anyone found a solution to this yet?

look into NX version 3 or a free clone.. other remote viewers will attach to your running x session NX will create X sessions
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I tried no machine like you suggested. It only caused several plasmashell errors before dying and giving me a blank screen. Any other ideas?

Comment

what errors do you get?? are you ever going to log in locally ? i personally have not had much success with plasma 4 with NX due to the shading and other factors it just doesn't work so great over even the LAN i have instead used Lxqt for this purpose since its much lighter and is also Qt based. i have not tried to do this with plasma 5 since my server just has no GUI since i can do all my admin stuff via CLI.

you can try krfb but idk if that will work headless.

you can also try (but not expect to work fast) exporting your X session via ssh like (ssh -X startkde) you will need ssh working with X fowarding enabled.this is similar to how NXv3 works
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
        X