Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New motherboard - freezes and audio problems.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New motherboard - freezes and audio problems.

First off, I'm not sure I've posted in the correct board. I apologize if I've posted this in the wrong place and any moderator can feel free to move it.

I've recently upgraded my computer with a new motherboard and cpu (specs at end of post). This resulted in a new OS install because my old system didn't support the hardware.
    I don't want to buy Windows 10, but I'm running out of hope with Linux.
    I've used Linux for two years on Kubuntu 14.04 with my old system without any major issues.
    I don't stray far from default ppa:s and I don't think of myself as en experienced Linux user.
    I've googled my ass off for days without success.

I have 4 issues, while 2 of them are major. I will give a summary and then break down the problems and list what I've tried so far.

* Freezes. Computer locks up and everything becomes unresponsive, even the reset button. I have to hold the power button to shut down.
    * No sound. About 3 out of 4 times I have no sound when I boot up.
    * Network doesn't autoconnect, even though I've checked the option for it.
    * Autostart doesn't work. The only thing starting on boot is the browser. But Steam (or network) does not.

My first problem, the freezes.
    Since the freezes completely locks the system the logs are also empty. I can't find any entries in kern.log or syslog from when the freezes occur.
    One common factor that MIGHT be present, is that some audio has always been playing, either video through VLC or sound through Clementine. Note that since I also have audio issues, there hasn't always been any actual audio output.

My second problem, the audio.
    So it works sometimes, maybe 25% of the time, and if I boot up with sound then it will stay until I reboot. It sometimes disappear from VLC when I skip forward in a video, but it only disappears from VLC and will come back if I skip a few more times.
    I was getting an error on boot: "failed to add i915 component master (-19)". I installed "oem-audio-hda-daily-dksm" which got rid of that error message but the audio is still a problem.
    Note that "oem-audio-hda-daily-dksm" is the only non-default driver-related package I've installed.
    I've checked alsamixer and the volume is not muted. The sound cards are always detected, they show up in alsamixer and under playback devices even when there is no sound.
    I've tried running "pulseaudio -k". I've also tried running "service also restart" and "service also-utils restart" but none of those seem to even exist.

My third problem and fourth problem.
    These might be related since they both SHOULD happen at login.
    The network doesn't always automatically connect, I have to click "connect" manually. It connects maybe 25% of the time, but not related to the 25% times my audio works.
    Steam is listed under autostart and the setting in steam itself is also checked.
    I also have "Restore session" active under my system settings, but only Firefox starts even though I 5+ other programs running when I reboot.

As I'm writing this I have my audio working. It did not work 10 minutes ago but then my system froze and I had to reboot. The randomness of it all is what makes it even harder, if I try something and it works on reboot I don't know if it's a lucky boot or if the problem was fixed. Until the sound is gone when I startup the next day that is.
    I suspect the drivers for my motherboard are far from perfect which is causing this.
    I'm happy to provide any logs, output, or information as fast as I can.
    Any help is appreciated, even suggestions for other channels where I can ask for help!

My setup is as follows

* Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 7 rev 1.0, bios version F5 (default).
    * Intel i6600k
    * Nvidia 770gtx
    * 32GB RAM which is listed as supported by Gigabyte.
    * Samsung 500gb ssd
    * Kubuntu 15.10, fresh install with latest updates. (Kernel 4.2.0-35-generic)
    * Nvidia 352.63 drivers (Recommended)
    * OpenGL 3.1 and GLX as rendering backend

I also posted this on reddit for additional help.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/linux4noobs...zes_and_audio/

As you posted in 15.10, you are now using that version of Kubuntu, yes?

You did a fresh install. From a Live DVD or USB? Either way, did you 'try before installing' or go straight to install? If the latter, I'll suggest that you boot back into the Live DVD/USB and use the 'try before installing' option; see if everything works as it is supposed to.

When you installed, it was over an existing installation of 14.04. Did you tell the installer to format the existing /home partition or not? If 'not', that could also be a potential source of some of your issues.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, it is 15.10 as stated in the specs.
      I did an install from USB (my machine doesnt have a DVD).
      I did "try before installing", but not for very long and I did not try my audio while doing so. I will boot into that option a few times and see if the audio issues exist there as well.
      Since I couldn't upgrade from 14.04 to 15.10 I did a new installation and formatted the entire partition.

I can add that the freezes doesn't happen immediately. The system can run for hours before it freezes.

Comment

Originally posted by PungPillaren View Post
        I can add that the freezes doesn't happen immediately. The system can run for hours before it freezes.
        That could indicate BAD RAM. When was the last time you ran a comprehensive RAM check?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well the RAM is also new, Corsair 32GB (2x16) DDR4 32000MHz Vengeance LPX.
          I did a memtest86 for about 45min without problems before I aborted it to install the OS. As you can imagine it takes a long time to check 32gb.
          I will start a new memtest before I go to work on monday so it can run during the day.

Comment

15.10 had/has some ? quirks ,,,,the audio one comes to mind , when you have no sound and click on the volume control do you see your audio devices listed ,or just "dumy output " or the such?

when you updated it after install how did you do it ?
            I would suggest using the CLI ,,,,open a terminal and
            Code:
            sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
            Do do a long check of the RAM ,,,,it is not unheard of to get new bad RAM

hang in their and don't give up yet

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

The sound devices are listed under volume control regardless. (GK104 HDMI and Built-in analog stereo).
              I don't recall how my first update was done, but I have checked for updates multiple times through the terminal since then (last 10 seconds ago).

I tested booting into "Try Kubuntu" 4 times in a row now. Audio (youtube) and auto-connect to network both seem to work fine there.
              After that I booted into my "regular" system twice where audio worked both times but the network didn't auto-connect. It seems my 25% audio rate stated above might be off, but I still want a 100% rate .

Thank you both for the fast answers btw, I appreciate it.

Comment

People have a lot problems with skylake CPUs under linux.

I would try with 16.04 LTS daily build. It has the newest kernel and drivers which could help in solving your issues.

Btw I am using 16.04 myself, and it is rock solid and much better than 15.10 which will be EOL (end of life) soon anyway.

You can also try 14.04.4 which have 15.10's kernel and drivers but I would first try 16.04 daily iso
                Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

Alright, it couldn't hurt to try since I'm on a fresh install anyway.
                  I will try the memtest tomorrow during the day and if it's ok I will try 16.04. Would you suggest a clean install or an upgrade?

Comment

Clean install
                    Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

Ok thanks.
                      If I use the daily build, will it "become" the LTS when it arrives on the 21st or will I still be on a beta branch?

Comment

Originally posted by PungPillaren View Post
                        Ok thanks.
                        If I use the daily build, will it "become" the LTS when it arrives on the 21st or will I still be on a beta branch?
                        it will/be is the LTS

also using it now @hear

VINNY
                        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I too can say I've recently already did a fresh install with 16.04. No issues to date. Very solid.

Note: The only issue I had was with IPV6 being enabled. I turned that off and no issues.

Comment

I ran memtest86 during the night and it made 3 passes without errors.

Comment

I too, had multiple issues with 15.10 to the point that I switched to Manjaro for a while.
                              Vlc and other sound issues, random lockups, Plasma crashing straight after login and logging out, Samba very flaky, the list went on.
                              Being a long time Kubuntu user, i was never really happy with that choice and decided to give 16.04 a spin.
                              And what do you know, rock solid, everything works first time and not a single crash since install. Absolutely fantastic!

So yes, give 16.04 a go would be my advise.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X