Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New motherboard - freezes and audio problems.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've installed 16.04 and tried it for a couple of hours now.
    I doesn't seem stable on my system. It feels like the skylake support is still off.
    The audio problem was there when I booted the USB without installing as well as after installing. Although it hasn't happened in 3 boots now since I did "chmod -R +x ~/.config" for some reason.
    The system has also frozen once, and I still need to use opengl 3.1 as renderer or the applications crash.
    VLC is a lot slower now though, when I skip in the timeline I get lags and artifacts.
    The driver manager never goes past "gathering information", so I'm stuck with the low-perfomance drivers, which in turn has problems with Steam so steam doesn't even start manually anymore.
    The auto-login doesn't work either, so I have to login manually on every boot.
    The network seems to connect more often when I've disabled auto-connect to VPN, which is really annoying since I want the VPN to always be active. This problem was not in 14.04.
    Even my clock is unsynced, it's 2 hours off so I have to manually set the time. I've checked the right timezone but I get some errors in syslog "Failed to call clock_adjtime(): Invalid argument" which seems to be a bug in the kernel.

The list probably goes on, but it just seems that Linux isn't stable enough for this hardware.

Comment

VLC issues were fixed by changed video output to XVideo, since I read that noveau has problems with vdpau (default).
      I've done another 2 reboots and audio has worked both times. Lets hope it has been fixed by that silly chmod solution

Comment

Originally posted by PungPillaren View Post
        The driver manager never goes past "gathering information", so I'm stuck with the low-perfomance drivers, which in turn has problems with Steam so steam doesn't even start manually anymore.
        open a konsole and
        Code:
        apt search nvidia-3
        pick the one you want from the list .

@hear I get this (this is a small portion of the list )

Code:
        nvidia-352/xenial 361.42-0ubuntu1 amd64
          Transitional package for nvidia-352

nvidia-352-dev/xenial 361.42-0ubuntu1 amd64
          Transitional package for nvidia-361-dev

nvidia-352-updates/xenial 361.42-0ubuntu1 amd64
          Transitional package for nvidia-352-updates

nvidia-352-updates-dev/xenial 361.42-0ubuntu1 amd64
          Transitional package for nvidia-361-updates-dev

nvidia-361/xenial,now 361.42-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
          NVIDIA binary driver - version 361.42

nvidia-361-dev/xenial 361.42-0ubuntu1 amd64
          NVIDIA binary Xorg driver development files

nvidia-361-updates/xenial 361.42-0ubuntu1 amd64
          NVIDIA binary driver - version 361.42

nvidia-361-updates-dev/xenial 361.42-0ubuntu1 amd64
          NVIDIA binary Xorg driver development files
        I want the "nvidia-361"

so,,,,,,
        Code:
        sudo apt install nvidia-361
        VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks man!
          Now I got the nvidia drivers and I can start steam. Though when I start steam I get warning about the package being out of date, but that seems to be a bug in steam (https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ste...ux/issues/4321)
          Most problems seem to be solved now.
          The vpn-autoconnect doesnt work on bootup so I have to do it manually.
          The clock is 2 minutes off. I've tried "dpkg-reconfigure tzdata" but it's still the same. I still get the system-d error message in syslog ("systemd-timesyncd[534]: Failed to call clock_adjtime(): Invalid argument").
          It's to soon to say about the freezes but the system hasn't frozen in 18 hours now so fingers crossed.

Comment

Now when I got home from work my system was frozen again. So it even freezes when I'm not doing anything at all.

Comment

Working...
            X