This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE crashes after installing proprietary NVIDIA drivers

I recently dual-booted Kubuntu 15.10 on the HP laptop described in my signature. I had some issues initially with it not booting apparently due to graphics driver issues, which were resolved by adding nomodeset to the bootline. It now boots fine but there are a few hardware compatibility issues (and I may discover more later):
    - the brightness control buttons do nothing: don't change the brightness, don't show any indication that they've been pressed, and the screen brightness settings in system settings (under power management) have no effect either.
    - closing the lid of the laptop doesn't make it go to sleep, and if I manually put it to sleep from the menu, close the lid then reopen it, the computer appears to wake up (I can hear the hard disk creaking) but the screen doesn't turn on again.

I read something about brightness not working if nvidia drivers aren't installed, and it also seemed like the blur effect wasn't available (I couldn't see it in the desktop effects in system settings and there was no blurring in desktop themes where I'd expect it) so I decided to install the "recommended" proprietary driver listed in the driver manager, hoping it'd fix those issues.

I can't remember the exact number of the driver installed, and can't get back to it now unfortunately, since I have no graphical environment anymore (I wish I'd written it down!). However I do remember there were 3 drivers listed: the nvidia one with "Recommended Driver" after it, another exactly the same but with "updates" appended to the end of the name, and Nouveau, which was in use before I installed the other driver.
    There was also a checkbox for installing microcode for intel CPUs, which I decided to do as well.

As soon as I'd installed the new driver, even before rebooting, KDE apps started crashing. After rebooting, Kubuntu booted normally until it got to loading the desktop environment, when I got a black screen with multiple dialog boxes saying krunner had crashed, then that kdeinit crashed, and finally Plasma 5 crashed because it couldn't use OpenGL. So I guess I need to switch back to the Nouveau driver :\

How do I uninstall the proprietary driver when I don't have access to a graphical environment? Can I do this from the grub somehow?
    "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

you are booting to a CLI currently its easy to remove the nvidia driver just uninstall it.
    Code:
    sudo apt purge nvidia*
    should remove any nvidia package you have after this you can reboot using
    Code:
    sudo reboot
    ***your mileage will vary when using properitary drivers, if you dont need them don't install them.***
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

actually, it's not a CLI...it seems there is *some* sort of graphical environment but it's limited to these error dialog boxes and mouse pointer. Here's what I see (sorry for the bad photo, hard to get a pic of the screen): http://dreadedvariable.xyz/dropbox/plasma-crash.jpg

I can't type anything. Once I close those error windows it's just a black screen and the mouse pointer. Am I missing something?
      "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive

Comment

Try to access a command line screen with ctrl-alt-F1.
        Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religions
        linux user #447706 on https://linuxcounter.net
        A good place to start:
        Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

Comment

as Mbohets said above use Ctrl+Alt+F1 to access a tty (after you hit ok to the dialog)
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

thankyou, ctrl-alt-f1 worked and I managed to uninstall the drivers and now I have KDE back

Comment

Working...
            X