This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell Laptop Ubuntu to Kubuntu

My last Kubuntu build was a clean slate on a new PC. I have a Dell Vostro 1520 laptop that is running Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, and I'd like to switch over to Kubuntu.

Expressing my obvious lack of knowledge in this area - can I just swap the Gnome Desktop Environment for the KDE? Or do I need to download and install a complete installation package?

I would do a clean install ,,,,,,,

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Not really necessary. You can install KDE/Plasma on top of Gnome and have the ability to use either Desktop Environment. Increases the overhead -- downloaded/installed packages -- but if disk space isn't an issue, that's a way to go. You can of course, completely replace Gnome with KDE/Plasma. There are guides/instructions on how to do this.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        Not really necessary. You can install KDE/Plasma on top of Gnome and have the ability to use either Desktop Environment. Increases the overhead -- downloaded/installed packages -- but if disk space isn't an issue, that's a way to go. You can of course, completely replace Gnome with KDE/Plasma. There are guides/instructions on how to do this.
        the last time I put KDE on top of unity (Ubuntu-14.04 has unity) the mix of configs in ~/ made it very quirky .

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

I do agree though, that if one wants to avoid any possible issues, then doing a fresh installation is the way to go, accepting of course, that you'll have to configure things all over again.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Being the newb that I am, I opted for the simpler route. I did a clean install. Suprisingly, but not unhappily, the install went EXTREMELY smoothly. I also managed to install from a USB drive, which was awesome. After seeing the blue plasma screen again, I had one thought ...

I LOVE KUBUNTU!!!!!

OMG, it's amazing how smooth and and seamless the KDE environment seems. Of course, I don't know what you guys/girls do about the short comings, but absolutely love this platform.

Thanks for the feedback/recommendations.

Comment

Originally posted by gshockxcc View Post
              Being the newb that I am, I opted for the simpler route. I did a clean install. Suprisingly, but not unhappily, the install went EXTREMELY smoothly. I also managed to install from a USB drive, which was awesome. After seeing the blue plasma screen again, I had one thought ...

I LOVE KUBUNTU!!!!!
              great ,,,,we love it to.

Originally posted by gshockxcc View Post
              OMG, it's amazing how smooth and and seamless the KDE environment seems. Of course, I don't know what you guys/girls do about the short comings, but absolutely love this platform.

Thanks for the feedback/recommendations.
              ?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and what "short comings" would that be ?

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                great ,,,,we love it to.

?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and what "short comings" would that be ?

VINNY

Ummmm... I haven't found any yet. For my needs, there isn't anything missing.

Comment

About shortcomings; no unified top menu maybe?

Comment

Working...
                  X