Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

synaptics tap to click not working - driver or hardware?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

synaptics tap to click not working - driver or hardware?

Hi folks,
    A while back the left click button on my touchpad (which is a proper hardware button not one of those seamless things) stopped working. That button feels a bit loose compared to the still-working right button, so I assume a hardware connection has broken.
    One of the first things I did when I got this computer was turn off tap-to-click and I've never re-enabled it in the 2 years since. When the left button broke, I switched to using a mouse straight away. I've just now decided to look into using tap-to-click again so I don't have to carry the mouse around everywhere.

Under "mouse click emulation" in Input Devices -> Touchpad -> Taps, I have "one finger" tap set to emulate the left button...but it doesn't do anything. Neither do two finger or three finger taps. Other touchpad settings work fine although changing the scrolling distance doesn't seem to have any effect (I'd expect it to slow down scrolling?).

I decided to test the touchpad in a VM running Kubuntu 15.04 and when I opened up settings it said "synaptics backend not found" and all the settings were disabled, but the touchpad worked except for tap-to-click.

According to synclient tap-to-click is enabled.

Is there something wrong with the touchpad hardware that's stopping tap-to-click from working or is it a software issue? Is there anything else I can do to diagnose the problem? I know there are a lot of posts on the internet about synaptics touchpads not working but none of them seem relevant to me because my touchpad DOES work, just not the tapping.
    "Stella", HP Pavilion 15-ak006TX: KDE Neon User Edition dual-booted with Windows 10, 8gb RAM, Intel i7-6700HQ CPU, NVIDIA GeForce GTX950M graphics, 2 TB hard drive
Working...
X