This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leave commands logout [reguardless of choice]

So for a while now, regardless of what i pick from the leave commands (shutdown, reboot, suspend) all the machine does is log me out. Once logged out the shutdown and reboot options at the login screen work.

Also, sudo reboot hangs.

and how about
    Code:
    sudo reboot now
    ,,,,,,,if when hung try the magic keys .

press and hold down "ctrl+alt+SysRq" wile holding down those 3 ,,, press and release one at a time S then U then B.

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Same. Extremely annoying. Reboot hangs sometimes, as does shutdown. Im hoping 16.04 will fix this.
      vinny: for me at least, it hangs after kde shuts down. Im left with a black screen and a blinking cursor. Key commands have no effect. Occasionally it will work eventually (after several minutes) but sometimes it gets stuck indefinitely.

Comment

You might want to check out the relevant systemd commands, I found them helpful.

http://www.dynacont.net/documentatio...temD_commands/

Powering off the machine

You can use
        # poweroff Some more possibilities are: halt -p, init 0, shutdown -P now
        Note that halt used to work the same as poweroff in previous Fedora releases, but systemd distinguishes between the two, so halt without parameters now does exactly what it says – it merely stops the system without turning it off.

Comment

Okay, gonna soapbox for a minute. This is the third thread recently where I’ve found an issue, mentioned it. And the response was to tell me how to do something command line. I know how to do these things manually. What I’d like is something about how to fix the issue. (Or at least acknowledgement of the issue).

Between this and the complete dismissal of the sound thread, I'm getting kinda dissuaded with using kubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by Notsonoble View Post
            Okay, gonna soapbox for a minute. This is the third thread recently where I’ve found an issue, mentioned it. And the response was to tell me how to do something command line. I know how to do these things manually. What I’d like is something about how to fix the issue. (Or at least acknowledgement of the issue).

Between this and the complete dismissal of the sound thread, I'm getting kinda dissuaded with using kubuntu.
            Rule of Thumb

If something is broken - try to get an error message !

With an error message it is a bit easier to solve the problem. When you have an error message you could search the net or file a bug report.

Error messages can be found from the .xsession-errors and systemd journal. Also when launching an application from the terminal could reveal the problem.

I would

If my system doesn't shut down from the KDE shutdown button - I would try to launch the shutdown dialog from the konsole. Earlier: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...in-kde4-solved

Logout dialog:
            Code:
            qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer logout 1 0 0
            Reboot dialog:
            Code:
            qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer logout 1 1 0
            Shutdown dialog:
            Code:
            qdbus org.kde.ksmserver /KSMServer logout 1 2 0
            Last edited by LinkBot; Mar 31, 2016, 10:00 AM.
            Try Me !

Comment

Point of all these answers is that it's really difficult to analyse problems with the GUI (Graphical User Interface).

The CLI will typically give you feedback that can be used to narrow down the real reason for a particular problem.

Both the cases you mention have in common they are not seen by many people, they are not easily repeatable which limits the chance of an easy fix.
              The reason could be unusual hardware, an unusual order in which software and drivers were installed, an unusual combination of drivers, local tweaks, who knows, the CLI might give a clue.

Edit; LinkBot was ahead of me

Comment

Originally posted by Notsonoble View Post

Ok, here's me on the soap box;
                1. This is a user forum. If you want bugfixes, do a proper bug report.
                2. A command line entry will often display error output and thus has the double benefit of offering a temporary solution and possibly leading to a permanent solution.
                3. No one here is a mind reader. An incomplete report of an issue (no info on your system, what you've tried, what you've researched, etc.) will not usually result in a solution.
                4. No one here is paid. You did not pay for Kubuntu. You are not owed a response.
                5. An ungratefully toned retort isn't a way to get help. Your "dissuasion" with Kubuntu is not interesting to anyone and will not garner any further interest in your issue.

Most of us here will help, but we're more inclined to do so when the person posting has at least attempted a solution of their own, researched the issue even a little bit, and includes information that might allow someone else to offer solutions.

In short; you get back what you put out. Your one sentence comment got three replies. I'd say you've received more than you should have expected.

Please Read Me

Comment

Journalctl

How To Use Journalctl to View and Manipulate Systemd Logs: https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...e-systemd-logs

@here:

1) Looking clock -> 20:19:40

2) Right click desktop...

3) Boot

4) Login and konsole:
                  Code:
                  journalctl --since today > today.txt
                  journal (today.txt) has:
                  Code:
                  Mar 31 20:19:40 archfox ksmserver[753]: Shutdown called with confirm  -1  type  -1  and mode  -1
                  Mar 31 20:19:40 archfox ksmserver[753]: After modifications confirm is  -1  type is  0  and mode  3
                  Mar 31 20:19:46 archfox kdeinit5[730]: powerdevil: DBus service  ":1.13"  is requesting inhibition
                  Mar 31 20:19:46 archfox kdeinit5[730]: powerdevil: Added inhibition with cookie  1  from  "ksmserver"  with  "Shutting down system"
                  Mar 31 20:19:46 archfox kdeinit5[730]: powerdevil: Added interrupt session
                  Mar 31 20:19:46 archfox ksmserver[753]: saveSession is  false
                  Mar 31 20:19:46 archfox ksmserver[753]: ksmserver: Saving legacy session apps
                  Mar 31 20:19:46 archfox kwin_x11[799]: QXcbConnection: XCB error: 3 (BadWindow), sequence: 26687, resource id: 20971551, major code: 2 (ChangeWindowAttributes), minor code: 0
                  Mar 31 20:19:46 archfox ksmserver[753]: ksmserver: Done saving  1  legacy session apps
                  Mar 31 20:19:46 archfox ksmserver[753]: clients should be empty,  false
                  Mar 31 20:19:46 archfox ksmserver[753]: completeShutdownOrCheckpoint called
                  Try Me !

Comment

Working...
                  X