X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kdesudo Dolphin not working

Hi there!
    I'm having trouble using kdesudo dolphin. When I do, no folders show up and dolphin terminates unexpectedly. A shame, because it's kind of useful sometimes.
    Any way of fixing that? I'm using 15.10, by the way...
    Thanks!

Maybe:

- Bug 358992 - dolphin crashes after running as superuser (kdesudo dolphin) : https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=358992
    Michael Tunnell 2016-03-03 16:54:15 UTC
    This sounds like it could be a duplicate of https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=353263

Try the workaround mentioned in this comment, https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=353263#c7
    Try Me !

Comment

Yes, the workaround mentioned in the link works, tried it myself.
      I needed to place some icon-themes in the right location and could only do that with full rights - split option in Dolphin rules

Comment

Nobody heard of root actions servicemenu?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          +1

be sure to scroll down to the installation section and do (1) and (2d)

EDIT: if you like/use Konqueror place the 2 .desktop files in /home/you/.kde/share/kde4/services/ServiceMenus/ as well.

VINNY
          Last edited by vinnywright; Mar 27, 2016, 12:04 PM.
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Maybe:

- Bug 358992 - dolphin crashes after running as superuser (kdesudo dolphin) : https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=358992
            Michael Tunnell 2016-03-03 16:54:15 UTC
            This sounds like it could be a duplicate of https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=353263

Try the workaround mentioned in this comment, https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=353263#c7
            Thanks, the workaround worked... but half of my folders are missing (?).

Yes, I have that service installed and working, but I find easier and more convenient the use of kdesudo.
            I hope it will be fixed for the 16.04 release!

Thanks everybody.

Comment

Thanks, the workaround worked... but half of my folders are missing (?).
              After a closer look, it seems that the Dolphin launched by the workaround is displaying some kind of blank standard set of folders; all of them are empty and, as I said, I'm missing many of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Fernando View Post
                After a closer look, it seems that the Dolphin launched by the workaround is displaying some kind of blank standard set of folders; all of them are empty and, as I said, I'm missing many of them.
                show the command you are using to launch it ,,,,,,and you did become root first with
                Code:
                sudo su
                right?

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

That sounds like you're getting the root user's folders, in /root. You may just have to navigate to /home/your_username.
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

That sounds like you're getting the root user's folders, in /root. You may just have to navigate to /home/your_username.
                    You were right I was in /root. All my folders were where they were supposed to be.
                    Many thanks!

Comment

You were right I was in /root. All my folders were where they were supposed to be.
                      Many thanks!
                      Which is why using the rootactions servicemenu is a better course of action rather than kdesudo dolphin. On top of that, if you launch dolphin using kdesudo and then navigate to your (or any) user's home and manipulate any files, you may cause problems because you'll leave files in home that are owned by root instead of the user.

This is a common cause of login, desktop crashing, and other problems that inexperienced users have. I don't recommend using dolphin - or any other GUI program - with elevated access. If you really need root access to a file or two, learn to use the console. I know the GUI tools can be faster and are prettier than a console tool, but you're also more likely to cause damage.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                        On top of that, if you launch dolphin using kdesudo and then navigate to your (or any) user's home and manipulate any files, you may cause problems because you'll leave files in home that are owned by root instead of the user.
                        that problem is from launching dolphin with just "sudo" ,,,,not kdesudo .

but ,,,yes the the rootactions servicemenu is much better

VINNY
                        16GB RAM

Comment

Yes, Vinny, sudo is a boogy man. But, also, what oshunluvr says is true: you can get into trouble using kdesudo IF YOU FORGET you are using kdesudo. That is, after you complete your primary task (as root), you must close out Dolphin -- do not forget and continue working, because you will be working as root. Don't ask me how I know this.
                          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                            Yes, Vinny, sudo is a boogy man. But, also, what oshunluvr says is true: you can get into trouble using kdesudo IF YOU FORGET you are using kdesudo. That is, after you complete your primary task (as root), you must close out Dolphin -- do not forget and continue working, because you will be working as root. Don't ask me how I know this.
                            yes ,,,,,,if you forget you have root privilege you can easily do damage .

BUT the damage wont (should not) be inadvertently changing ownership of files in your home that you are manipulating to root with a root dolphin launched with kdesudo ,,,,,,,,,,like you will almost definitely do with a dolphin launched with sudo.

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

BUT the damage wont (should not) be inadvertently changing ownership of files in your home
                              Ah, yes, right.
                              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Working...
                              X