This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of updates ... this is getting surreal

The counting updates thing is getting silly now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SurrealUpdates.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	649094

Is it 8, 5 or 4?

--
    Intocabile

Ive noticed this to. The entire GUI for updates needs to be scrubbed and redone in my opinion. My typical day starts with me turning on the computer and instantly getting a notification that I have X many updates ready. I do the upgrade in the console and actually only have Y updates. Then, heres the best part, right after I finish the update, I get a new notification telling me that there are more updates. I check and there are none.

Comment

I added all 3 staging ppas (discover is in plasma staging I think) and I think now discover/updater works better. But I don't have any updates to test atm

Edit: on 16.04.
      Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

Does the notification bar icon update correctly in 16.04, that's been off since 15.04

Comment

Originally posted by Notsonoble View Post
          Does the notification bar icon update correctly in 16.04, that's been off since 15.04
          Apparently

BUT I do my updates on the CLI ,,,,,,the notifier has however reflected the fact that the system is good .

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
            ...The entire GUI for updates needs to be scrubbed and redone in my opinion...
            Agreed. In 15.10 the updates system in Plasma is somehow messed up. After some update the muon-updater doesn't get rights again even with polkit installed. Muon Discover shows updates but refuses to install them. The notification icon shows randomly. And the entire computer gets swamped during apt-check running so I can't work for 15 minutes.

Does anyone know what are the plans? Will it be better in 16.04?

Comment

Originally posted by alest View Post
              Agreed. In 15.10 the updates system in Plasma is somehow messed up. After some update the muon-updater doesn't get rights again even with polkit installed. Muon Discover shows updates but refuses to install them. The notification icon shows randomly. And the entire computer gets swamped during apt-check running so I can't work for 15 minutes.

Works fine on 16.04.
              Plasma 5 look&feel for KDE4: http://kde-look.org/content/show.php...content=166438

Comment

Originally posted by alest View Post
                And the entire computer gets swamped during apt-check running so I can't work for 15 minutes.

Since Muon proper has been disabled I've started going 100% CLI and I've never seen any problem with apt update, apt list --upgradable and apt dist-upgrade.

I did install Synaptic but don't particularly like it's layout but I find it easier for searching than from the CLI.
                By fooling around with libmuon I was also able to reinstall Muon but am not using it much any more.

The above is valid for both 15.10 and 16.04 whereby I am convinced the two 16.04 installs I have are significantly more stable than 15.10 that I find the worst ever Kubuntu.

Comment

• That's apt full-upgrade, or apt-get dist-upgrade.
                  • About twice since Hardy, the CLI has got stuck on me, and aptitude to the rescue.
                  • For me, 15.04 was worse than 15.10.

Regards, John Little
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                  X