This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muon Woes

I like Kubuntu, but Muon is a mess.I cant get it to take the permissions necessary to update.Even if I start Muon as root.I have been updating from the terminal.I also have Netrunner Linux.Its version of Muon Discover works wonderfully.This may be a dumb question but I was wondering, since this is an open cooperative GNU/Linux community can the Kubuntu developers not reach out to, or analyze Netrunners system and see why Muon works there and Kubuntu's version doesn't?Has anyone been able to fix Muon in Kubuntu?One other dumb newbie question, would it mess things up if I tried to switch to Synaptic Package Manager?

You can use Synaptic, many people here do so.

fyi,

Not maintained:
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post385180

Things I've done, which sometimes gets Muon going in the right direction,
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...in-system-tray
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Netrunner is running older KDE and Kubuntu stuff
      Yes if they had it working in the latest plasma 5 of course it would be used here. Thing is, there simply isn't anyone who wants to work on it, or is able to.

You won't hurt a thing using synaptic

Sent from my i700 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by claydoh; Mar 16, 2016, 09:22 AM.

Comment

I miss Muon. The new Discover thing hurts my brains.
        --
        Intocabile

Comment

I miss Muon. The new Discover thing hurts my brains.
          You're not alone there. Kubuntu OS oughta have a good GUI package management system, especially for new users.
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

It could be argued I would argue that a software center is much more useful to a new user than a package manager.

I miss Muon too.

Comment

It could be argued I would argue that a software center is much more useful to a new user than a package manager.
              Ha! Yes, that is true, come to think about it, literally. So what I mean [might be] this: A good GUI package management system would be a good thing to have for new users who soon become moderately more experience-advanced-sophisticated ( ? ) . And certainly a good thing for people who don't wish to use CLI--and there seems to be many of them (based on posted comments I see around here this past several years), including moderately experienced users.

Comment

claydoh and I are of like mind on anything that makes it EASIER..... not...RTFM ....for NEW TO LINUX FOLKS!!

And, Discover, with its funky interface (to the experienced folks) is a means to that end....bringing in NEW people!

If they are "keepers" then they will gradually learn that there are other ways to get at applications.

woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

I too see the appeal of Muon Discoverer but don't for one moment see this as reason to leave the power of a full Muon Package Manager.
                  Synaptic is powerful but Muon is easier to use.

To come back to the OP, Muon in Kubuntu works exactly the same as in Netrunner, the problems you experience with Muon are one off, limited to your specific installation.

In the newer Plasma systems Muon has disappeared but it's, at the cost of Discoverer etc. still possible to get it working.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                    You can use Synaptic, many people here do so.

fyi,

Not maintained:
                    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post385180

Things I've done, which sometimes gets Muon going in the right direction,
                    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...in-system-tray
                    I switched to Synaptic. Muon does not list all available packages In Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus, and I no longer trust it.
                    I do miss muon and wish it was still maintained.
                    sigpic

Comment

Boy, me, too ...

Comment

Originally posted by life0riley View Post
                        I switched to Synaptic. Muon does not list all available packages In Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus, and I no longer trust it.

It would indeed be nice if it was maintained.

But I can't repeat this issue, for me the list of packages is the same in Muon and apt.

I use apt for updates etc, Muon for the much better search and especially for the easy way to change mirrors.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                          It would indeed be nice if it was maintained.

But I can't repeat this issue, for me the list of packages is the same in Muon and apt.

I use apt for updates etc, Muon for the much better search and especially for the easy way to change mirrors.
                          he was probably using "Muon" in a generic fashion talking about "Muon discover",,,,,,,, then the description would fit

VINNY
                          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                          16GB RAM
                          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                            he was probably using "Muon" in a generic fashion talking about "Muon discover",,,,,,,, then the description would fit

VINNY
                            It was actually Muon, not Muon discover. I enabled the Cononical Partners in muon, and I could not find adobe-flashplugin in muon. Then I installed synaptic and was able to find adobe-flashplugin, but that was in Kubuntu 16.04. I don't see that behavior with Muon in Kubuntu 15.10.
                            sigpic

Comment

It was actually Muon, not Muon discover. I enabled the Cononical Partners in muon, and I could not find adobe-flashplugin in muon. Then I installed synaptic and was able to find adobe-flashplugin, but that was in Kubuntu 16.04. I don't see that behavior with Muon in Kubuntu 15.10.
                              O sorry ,,,,,,,,the "adobe-flashplugin" or "flashplugin-installer" as the package is named lives in multiverse not Partners .

VINNY
                              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                              16GB RAM
                              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                              X