This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
    btrfs is just great ,,,,,,,I to have my TB storage drive as a btrfs partition with one OS (netrunner) installed to 2 subvolumes @ and @home .

I already had my system HD partitioned up for 4 installs when I started messing with it ,,,,,,,,,,when I ever decide to redo it all ,,,,,,,both drives will be btrfs drives (no partitions)

VINNY
    NO partitions at all? So no EFI and all that? Have a good reference for learning about it? I currently have an SSD disk for my system disk, but if I can use that for everything (It's too small for that with separate partitions), it could be great.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

You still have to be able to boot, so if your system needs an EFI partition you'll still need one. Also, btrfs doesn't do swap well so a swap partition is also a good idea. You can use an entire disk without any partitions when using btrfs, but you won't be able to boot to that disk. I have a server that has four drives. 2 of them have partitions for swap and GRUB/EFI but the other two do not.

I suspect Vinny was referring to not needing partitions for multiple installs or a separate home partition. My desktop PC has 3 installs on it along with /home and /data all on the same btrfs file system. In my case, it's two drives pooled together (instant RAID is another btrfs benefit). But again, like my server, these two drive do have partitions because they are also bootable drives and I like splitting my swap across multiple devices.

The benefit (as i touched on before) to having all my installs and home and extra data all in the same btrfs filesystem in subvolumes instead of separate partitions is freespace. All available space is accessible to all the subvolumes so they can expand and contract as needed, which makes it perfect for smaller SSDs.

You can search this forum to find lots of posts by us here that use btrfs and Arch and Funtoo have good wiki's on it. Btrfs is still in development so don't rely on outdated info too much. Actually, it's very easy to use. A few simple commands and you're up and running. Snapshots, using subvolumes, and mounting instructions are the first things to learn about. Ubiquity (the default *ubuntu installer) will automatically create subvolumes for the root install and one for home, labeled "@" for / and "@home" for /home. What I do is (wrote a long post on this forum on how to do so) after install, rename the subvolumes to a unique name so at the next install the defaults are available again. I currently have @Kubuntu_14_04, @Kubuntu_15_04, @Kubuntu_15_10 and all their homes and @data all on the same btrfs file system.

Please Read Me

Comment

The btrfs wiki says to always "run with the latest kernel." Is this still necessary? If so, how to install a different kernel in Kubuntu? I suppose it would have to be compiled.

Maybe this should be in a different thread.
        'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by joneall View Post
          The btrfs wiki says to always "run with the latest kernel." Is this still necessary? If so, how to install a different kernel in Kubuntu? I suppose it would have to be compiled.

Maybe this should be in a different thread.
          If you're using Kubuntu, the latest kernel you need will be provided. Ubuntu updates the kernels along with btrfs tools well enough. I've been using btrfs daily for 4 years with almost no issues. Way less than I've had with other filesystems in the past.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X