This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to prevent Dolphin's mounting unmounted partitions

I have some partitions with the same names as others and so sometimes pick the wrong on in Dolphin, which mounts it anyway. Seems to me this is a security problem. In order to use the mount command to do that, I have to use sudo.

How can I stop Dolphin from doing that?

Thanks in advance.
    'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Why do you think this is a security problem? IF the selected partitions mount, then they are owned by your user. They are, yes? If your are worried, test this by creating a new user. Log in as that user and attempt to access the partition(s) in question.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

A user ,,,,or any one can access a drive in Dolphin as long as the "others: may view" bit is set ,,,,,,,,,if this is set "forbidden" ,,,,,then only the owner or group: can see

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yes - piling on here - AFAIK, security is neither allowed or not-allowed by Dolphin. The ownership and permissions of the file system and mount point(s) are in control of that, and admittedly a few other things depending on how your system is configured. Like PAM, udev, fstab, etc.

Please Read Me

Comment

Ok, I was wrong on security. But I still don't want it mounting things on its own because, in this case, it is mounting an outdated version of the file system. Can this be changed?

Or do I have to delete or rename the file system (partition)? (My wife is always telling me to throw out things I don't need any more -- unless they're hers!)

Thanks for your input.
          'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

I guess I'm unclear on what or how this exactly happens. I use Dolphin every day and it's never once mounted anything on it's own that I can recall. It will mount a file system if I click on it and have the permissions to view it and it will mount removable media when I insert it - when I click on the media item in the left column, but it doesn't mount it on it's own.

Maybe if we had more information? Like when you say you have partitions with the same "names", what exactly does that mean? They're labeled the same or mounted to the same location? BTW, both inadvisable IMO. If we're talking about hard drive partitions, are they in your fstab?

Please Read Me

Comment

"an order is an order"

How to prevent Dolphin's mounting unmounted partitions

... Seems to me this is a security problem. In order to use the mount command to do that, I have to use sudo.

How can I stop Dolphin from doing that?...
              The Dolphin is only following orders - Polkit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polkit
              Polkit (formerly PolicyKit) is a component for controlling system-wide privileges in Unix-like operating systems...
              An older 'how to': authentication for (removable) drives - http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1435044
              - now it is the org.freedesktop.udisks2.policy
              Last edited by LinkBot; Mar 15, 2016, 04:46 AM.
              Try Me !

Comment

I had a second partition with the same name because I moved the file system to another partition without deleting the old one. I've deleted it now, which should take care of that problem.

I never heard of working with mountable file systems that are not mounted by default, unless they are on mountable devices like external disks or USB keys. Not sure I see the usefulness.

Dolphin also likes to mount my swap space if I click on that by accident. Is this dangerous? I suppose not as long as I don't try to use it.

Comment

Mounting and accessing swap space That's a new one to me. AFAIK, the only way to use a swap partition is as swap. It doesn't have an addressable file system - you can't read and write to it like a normal file system. It doesn't even show up in Dolphin, at least not here, and I've never seen it do so in the 12 or so years I've been using KDE daily. It won't show in the results of df either. Either something is wildly wrong with your fstab or your "swap" partition isn't actually swap at all. Type swapon -s and cat /etc/fstab |grep swap and post the results of both commands.

I never heard of working with mountable file systems that are not mounted by default, unless they are on mountable devices like external disks or USB keys. Not sure I see the usefulness.
                  All my systems have at least one "mountable" file system that is not mounted by default. Backups, other OSs (multi-boot configuration), dedicated GRUB or EFI partitions, private or project file storage, and others. Usefulness criteria? How about not searching through unneeded file systems when looking for something, keeping backups safer from accidental deletion or unwarranted access, prevent prying eyes, keep boot systems (grub, etc.) safe, there are more. Since I use btrfs as my primary file system I also have subvolumes that are not mounted by default. I would ask: Why mount everything all the time if you don't need access to it all the time? Disk functions - searches, stats, file systems checks, all run faster if you're not wasting time accessing unneeded locations.

I had a second partition with the same name because...
                  I'm not trying to be a jerk here, but I still don't know what you mean by "same name". I realize I'm nit-picking, but it's easier to get assistance if you use correct and precise terminology. For example: my partitions have device names and my file systems have labels, UUIDs, and mount points among other ways to address them. I assume, since it's impossible to have duplicate device names, you're referring to either the file system label, UUID, or both. In this case, it's possible to change a UUID or label to prevent mis-mounting. I've never tried to have duplicate labels/UUIDs and then see them both mount. It seems more likely to me that you'd get an error when mounting rather than both of them mounting.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                    ... All my systems have at least one "mountable" file system that is not mounted by default...
                    oshunluvr I think the OP means "mounted automatically if the user clicks on it", not mounted at log in.

Regards, John Little
                    Regards, John Little

Comment

Sorry for my lack of precision. What I mean by "name" is in fact what the partition editor sees as the label on the partition. It is displayed by Dolphin in the LH window if it exists. Otherwise, Dolphin displays something like "49.0 MiB Hard Drive". So I see a number of those, corresponding to the system partitions of my other Linux systems (I have five, scattered across three drives = paranoia). Some system partitions do have labels, so I also see "Deb82" and "linux-2".

Turns out what I saw as "swap-b" must have been a former swap space but no longer used for that. I do not know how it got formatted, but now I have deleted it, as well as the other one with a name identical to the production one I use for my own files (jon-files). The second one was hanging around after it had been copied to a new partition on a SSD.

Thanks to all your explanations, I understand what is happening now and have done some appropriate cleaning up.

Btw, is btrfs working well?

Comment

I can't figure out how to mark this thread as resolved.

Comment

At the top of your Post #1, Thread Tools (on the right side), drop-down list, mark as Solved.
                          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by joneall View Post
                            Btw, is btrfs working well?
                            Yes, very well in fact. Several other KFN members are using it as well. Backups are easy, multi-disk usage is easy, subvolumes are brilliant, I can go on. My primary joy is multibooting to a single filesystem using subvolumes for the installs (instead of multiple partitions) and /home resides on the same filesystem (in it's own subvolume) also. All the free space is available to all the installs and /home - no dividing up of the drive space means no wasted space. Commands - like creating or deleting subvolumes or filesystems happen almost instantaneously.

I encourage you to try it out if you have some spare drive space and time to read up on it.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post

I encourage you to try it out if you have some spare drive space and time to read up on it.
                              btrfs is just great ,,,,,,,I to have my TB storage drive as a btrfs partition with one OS (netrunner) installed to 2 subvolumes @ and @home .

I already had my system HD partitioned up for 4 installs when I started messing with it ,,,,,,,,,,when I ever decide to redo it all ,,,,,,,both drives will be btrfs drives (no partitions)

VINNY
                              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                              16GB RAM
                              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                              X