X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiley 15.10, KDEconnect, Muon, Maya theme transparent folder widget

Well,
    I decided to install Wiley 15.10 with the spankin' new plasma 5 desktop.

Concerning KDE connect and synaptic.

a) Of prime importance to me is KDE connect. Well..........I can swear that I DID NOT see it in settings after the install.

b) So I go to the "Discover" software centre and .....KDE connect is NOT listed in the installed software.

c) I searched for it and nothing was returned.

d) I looked through the menu system for synaptic...............no synaptic.........WHAT!!!!! :0

e) I tried to install synaptic from the Discover center and could not do it.

f) I tried to install it from terminal and nothing was returned.

g) I changed sources to Main as opposed to United States.

h) did an update, a lot of stuff was pulled in .. restarted.

i) went to Discover and still no KDE connect and no synaptic. I THOUGHT I would have to add a ppa for syanptic to the thing!

j) sudo apt-get install synaptic. FINALLY!!

k) I search for KDEconnect in syanaptic and .............IT IS INSTALLED....!!! WHAT!!!! WHAT!!!!! WHAT!!!

l) I go to system settings and there it is!! WHAT!!?? It paired with the phone immediately.

NOW THINGS GET REALLY INTERESTING!!!!

m) I go to Discover/installed and it is STILL NOT LISTED!!! :0

Okaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy....

Concerning semitransparent / transparent folder widgets.

A) I really do not "mind" the whole flat, metro, etc. interface but I really DO want semitransparent folder widgets because I use a lot of them and go to a lot of trouble with backgrounds for each activity.

B) Tried all the kinds of variations of settings for the provided themes and could...."kind of discern" a smallish amount of maybe transparency.

C) Installed several new themes through the "get new themes" function and the Maya works great. It give a nice almost completely transparent folder widget and also brings in transparent menus.

D) An overly dark and complex background under the menu can blend with the text in the menu but that is ok.

F) So take away............... WHAT is going on with "Discover" not knowing that KDE connect is installed, and one can, indeed, have transparent folders using Maya.

The woodsmoker is happy! all is right with the world!

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

just a FYI ,,,,,Muon Discover has NEVER shown ALL packages .

I do not know how it decides what to show , and I do not use it .

Muon package manager now dose show ALL ,,,just like synaptic ,,,,,,,,, and remember you can always search the command line with
    Code:
    apt search <package name>
    Code:
    vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ apt search kdeconnect
    Sorting... Done
    Full Text Search... Done
    kdeconnect/xenial,now 0.8-0ubuntu5 amd64 [residual-config]
      connect smartphones to your KDE Plasma Workspace

kdeconnect-plasma/xenial,now 0.0+git20150810-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
      connect smartphones to your KDE Plasma desktop

kdeconnect-plasma-dbg/xenial 0.0+git20150810-0ubuntu1 amd64
      connect smartphones to your KDE Plasma desktop
    and to see more info about a package ,,,,,,,,
    Code:
    apt show <package name>
    Code:
    vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:~$ apt show kdeconnect-plasma
    Package: kdeconnect-plasma
    Version: 0.0+git20150810-0ubuntu1
    Priority: optional
    Section: universe/kde
    Origin: Ubuntu
    Maintainer: Debian/Kubuntu Qt/KDE Maintainers <debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org>
    Original-Maintainer: Maintainer: David Suárez <david.sephirot@gmail.com>
    Bugs: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+filebug
    Installed-Size: 1,401 kB
    Depends: libqca-qt5-2-plugins, plasma-workspace, sshfs, libc6 (>= 2.14), libfakekey0 (>= 0.1), libkf5configcore5 (>= 4.97.0), libkf5configwidgets5 (>= 4.96.0), libkf5coreaddons5 (>= 5.2.0), libkf5dbusaddons5 (>= 4.97.0), libkf5i18n5 (>= 4.97.0), libkf5kcmutils5 (>= 5.8.0+git20150316.0112+15.04), libkf5kiocore5 (>= 5.3.0+git20141016.0314), libkf5kiofilewidgets5 (>= 4.96.0), libkf5kiowidgets5 (>= 4.96.0), libkf5notifications5 (>= 5.8.0+git20150317.0114+15.04), libkf5service5 (>= 5.2.0+git20140930), libkf5waylandclient5 (>= 4:5.3.95), libkf5widgetsaddons5 (>= 4.96.0), libqca-qt5-2 (>= 2.0.2), libqt5core5a (>= 5.4.0), libqt5dbus5 (>= 5.0.2), libqt5gui5 (>= 5.0.2) | libqt5gui5-gles (>= 5.0.2), libqt5network5 (>= 5.0.2), libqt5qml5 (>= 5.0.2), libqt5widgets5 (>= 5.0.2), libqt5x11extras5 (>= 5.2.0), libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1), libx11-6, libxtst6
    Recommends: kdeconnect
    Breaks: kdeconnect (<< 0.7.3-0ubuntu2)
    Replaces: kdeconnect (<< 0.7.3-0ubuntu2)
    Homepage: https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/base/kdeconnect-kde
    Task: kubuntu-desktop, kubuntu-full
    Supported: 5y
    Download-Size: 280 kB
    APT-Manual-Installed: yes
    APT-Sources: http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/universe amd64 Packages
    Description: connect smartphones to your KDE Plasma desktop
     Tool to integrate the KDE's Plasma desktop with your smartphones and
     similar devices.
     It adds a set of plasmoid, plugins and services to the KDE Plasma Workspace.
    this from 16.04

VINNY
    Last edited by vinnywright; Feb 27, 2016, 10:22 AM.
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Duuuuuhhhh you are SO SMART....

apt search <package name>
      Im just an old hardware sorta guy!

woodappreciativethatyouremindedmesmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Start the updates with:
        Code:
        sudo apt install muon

Story has there is presently no maintainer for Muon but except for it's history function it 'just works'.

For me KDEConnect was installed as a default package, both on 15.10 and 16.04, just a pity it is broken on my 16.04.

About theming, because I have a vertical panel on the left side and to get a readable time + two rows of system icons it is fairly wide.
        In 15.10 I am using the 'Transparent-sima84' theme that makes the panel about 90% transparent.
        But so far it won't stick in 16.04

Comment

Hi, thanks for the tip and info!

As I posted elsewhere, the transparency gave me a great desktop appearance, but the dropdown menus for Synaptic were so transparent they were unuseable. Apparently it is the setting in Desktop behaviour and translucency, I'm forsaking translucency for workability! lol

aaahh well..

woodsmoke
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
          X