Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I prevent Amarok from scanning my collection on startup?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I prevent Amarok from scanning my collection on startup?

Amarok takes ages to become usable when I launch it because it scans my entire music collection on startup.

Can I stop this behaviour?

Let me clarify:
    • "watch folders for changes" is unchecked, that's not the issue
    • Amarok immediately knows the names and other metadata of my tracks, that's all there straight away
    • nevertheless all the tracks are greyed out until they are scanned from the disk
    • this makes the disk thrash.

It seems to me that Amarok has a cache of which music files it expects to exist, but insists on verifying the data is there before making anything playable. This should be done lazily, on demand.

Can I make it so that Amarok simply trusts the cache and doesn't touch the disk for any particular media file until it tries to actually play it?

the only suggestion i would have is to remove the collection from amarok. keep the media source unchecked and be sure that the other two options in collection settings are unchecked too (just incase) . and on the right side instead of using "Local Collection" to add files to the playlist try using the "Files" instead.. , i really like amarok but on some systems i use Qmmp instead because of the start up time and resource use..
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

My personal song collection exceeds 6000 tracks. These reside on my server. Amarok accesses them as part of the "Local" collection via a NFS share mount. I have "Scan folders recursively" and "Watch folders for changes" both checked. My Amarok never does a full rescan unless I have told it to or it's a new install. I haven't changed any other configuration items that I recall.

You might look at "Metadata" and make sure you have your Local Collection selected under Statistics Sync.

Are you using Amarok's database or have you configured an external MySQL database?

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
      X