Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WIFI only connects to network, but no internet [Wireless 7265 - Lenovo T450s - 15.10]

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The strange thing is that resolv.conf is not being populated in the way it states in 14.04. In 15.10 the warning is not there.

I guess it might be a conflict between dnsmasq and resolvconf as discussed here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/36843...ubuntu-13-10-s

But who knows?
    Check out my Ⓥegan youtube channel PlantSugar
    CV and gallery at grn.dk
    Please add [SOLVED] to topic subject when topic is solved.

Comment

I usually configure my network manually on my desktop (no need for network manager). AFAIK, the only "correct" (again with that word ) place to put DNS server info in in the interfaces file(s), leavlng resolv.conf for local nameserver info. I use a router so my manually configured nameserver is my router IP and I don't need DNS server info because the router does that.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by gnowak View Post
        The strange thing is that resolv.conf is not being populated in the way it states in 14.04. In 15.10 the warning is not there.

I guess it might be a conflict between dnsmasq and resolvconf as discussed here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/36843...ubuntu-13-10-s

But who knows?
        I wondered about that. Curious. I'm using 15.04 at the moment.

Please Read Me

Comment

If you are back to using Networkmanager, you should be setting your DNS IPs through Configure Network Connections... (right-click on the Networkmanager icon in the System Tray)
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the "tail" tip oshunluvr. :-)

Just for fun, i rebooted and my resolv.conf is unchanged. My evil manual edits are still there. I guess there is something wrong with my installation.

And for the record, the only reason I played around with resolv.conf is to get my mobile hotspot working. :-)

Yes my router at home does my DNS for me too.

Can anyone confirm the dnsmasq and resolvconf conflict. Should I disable dnsmasq in the networking settings file? What is state-of-the-art practice here in 15.10?

Thanks again!
            CV and gallery at grn.dk

Comment

@Snowhog. Yes, I am back with NetworkManager, and I have tried to set the DNS in the network connections many times. It does not work. But the manual override in resolv.conf did. I know, it sounds strange.

I still think the problem is that resolv.conf is not being populated automatically. Because when I do a manual change, the effect is immediate. And when I connect and disconnect to different networks there is no change in that file. Or am I missing something very important here?
              CV and gallery at grn.dk

Comment

Who knows. Just make note of your solution, and if the problem presents again, check the file contents. Regardless, we're glad you have a solution.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I am glad too. :-)
                  CV and gallery at grn.dk

Comment

I dug a bit deeper, and found that this command solves all my problems and is probably the correct fix for this issue. My resolv.conf was broken and needed to be reconfigured with:

Code:
                    sudo dpkg-reconfigure resolvconf
                    Thanks again all!
                    CV and gallery at grn.dk

Comment

Great work Sherlock!

Comment

Working...
                      X