This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

problems upgrading from 14.04 to 15.10

After upgrading from 14.04 to 15.10 I get black terminal style login screen. When I log in I get root terminal with prompt. I do not know how to get past that nor do I want that. Any help appreciated.

How did you perform the upgrade?

Normally, big jump upgrades, such as going directly from 14.04 to 15.10 are not or recommended (except for LTS-to-LTS upgrades), so i am kinda surprised it jumps ahead so much, but then again *buntu releases have much shorter lifespans so the only version it can upgrade to would be Wily On 14.04, the default upgrade setting is lts-to-lts.

As a start, log in at the terminal and then simply type:
    startx

And post the exact error message(s) you get, if any.

Comment

I pressed "upgrade" in muon update manager where it told me a new version was available.
      When I log in I get some stuff about Read only file system Then
      bash: cannot create tmp file for here-document: read only file sytem

Startx results in
      (EE)
      Fatal server error:
      (EE)could not create lock file in /tmp/.tx0-lock
      (EE)
      (EE)
      please consult the The X.Org Foundation support at http://wiki.x.org
      for help
      (EE)
      xinit:giving up
      xinit:unable to connect to xserver: connection refused
      xinit:server error
      xauth: error in locking authority file home/xx/xauthority

Comment

I pressed "upgrade" in muon update manager where it told me a new version was available.

Startx results in
        (EE)
        Fatal server error:
        (EE)
        (EE)
        for help
        (EE)

a side note
        This OS is installed on an external HD. I can access the file system when plugged in to an operating computer.

I already have 15.10 on a couple other computers plus Ubuntu 14.04 and Mint and 3 versions of windows. I really liked Kubuntu 14.04 the best and would revert back to it if I could.

Comment

One of the major changes to Ubuntu from 15.04 is the adoption of systemd. Under 14.04 you were using an init system called upstart then when upgrading to 15.10 it will have attempted at least to install systemd. Systemd is very much different to upstart and 14.04 was not set up to use systemd. Unless you decide to install 15.10 from scratch you will need to set up 15.10 to use systemd. Then it will probably work. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by NickStone View Post
            you will need to set up 15.10 to use systemd. Then it will probably work. Good luck.
            I will need a lot of luck because I would have no idea how to go about doing that. Thank you to both of you for your time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushant View Post

Startx results in
              (EE)
              Fatal server error:
              (EE)
              (EE)
              for help
              (EE)

a side note
              This OS is installed on an external HD. I can access the file system when plugged in to an operating computer.

I already have 15.10 on a couple other computers plus Ubuntu 14.04 and Mint and 3 versions of windows. I really liked Kubuntu 14.04 the best and would revert back to it if I could.
              You may want to check that you have not run out of disk space, or that permissions have not changed on the directories. How much room do you have left?

df -h.
              This will show how much space is on each partition you have

This is very unlikely to have anything to do with systemd

Comment

I have used 28 %. 242 Gig out of 915G. I have been searching the systemd thing and have not found any way to enable or install yet.

I sure hate to reinstall from scratch but if I did and reinstalled 14.04 would it be safe to upgrade to 16.04 in July or whenever that debuts?

Comment

I have used 28 %. 242 Gig out of 915G.
                  Is it all one partition, though? Root could be full, while /home has gobs of room. The command I gave would list the amount of space on all the partitions you may have for your Kubuntu install.

Also, to see what your permissions are, this command will list them

ls -al /

Also more info about 'some stuff about read only file system' might help - if you have a disk error, fdisk can run during boot, putting the partition in read-only mode (for safety reasons) while it does it's thing. Can you add more details about this part?

If it is a space issue, that can be addressed somewhat, we can do things to clear up some space. If it is a permissions problem, that is actually an easy thing to fix.

I have been searching the systemd thing and have not found any way to enable or install yet.

I sure hate to reinstall from scratch but if I did and reinstalled 14.04 would it be safe to upgrade to 16.04 in July or whenever that debuts?

Upgrading from LTS to LTS is officially supported, and is actually tested, though not many volunteer to do so.

Comment

I can only vaguely reply because now I am getting the dreaded grub rescue prompt. All partitions had lots of room best I recall. I will have to fix this grub thing and report back.

Comment

I can only vaguely reply because now I am getting the dreaded grub rescue prompt. All partitions had lots of room best I recall. I will have to fix this grub thing and report back.
                      I was unable to recover the OS. Lost everything. Fresh install of 15.10 now. Lesson learned, stay up to date. My pc at my shop is running ubuntu 14.04 so I will wait for 16.04 on it and hope that goes better. Thanks for trying to help. I really appreciate it

Comment

I have a similar problem. I am using my laptop because the video on my desktop quit. I have narrowed that to either the DVI cable or - I hope not - a dead monitor. I decided to use my old laptop for now. It had 12.04 on it. I went into monu update's settings and changed it from only LTS to Normal updates. Now it would get the 15.10 update so I could update to the latest versioin... or so I thought. Now It boots to TTY1. Startx says failuar to connect to socket. Plenty of disk space and only 2 partions one is swap.Can I fix this? If not can I save my personal files?
                        Last edited by steve7233; Feb 21, 2016, 10:02 PM. Reason: I bummped the mousepad and messed up the typing.
                        Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

I'm not going to hazard a suggestion on how to get X running again but I can tell you it's very easy to get your personal files off. That is, providing this is not an encrypted drive. Just start up with a live USB or DVD drive and use it to find your files and move them to a an external disk. Or even burn them to DVD's. Because you say there is plenty of disk space you could also shrink the existing partition, create an new partition in the recovered space and store the files in there.

Comment

So lag, much slow...

I just did a similar upgrade (14.04 to 15.10), I got the prompt as well but was able to get past it and get 15.10 up and running. But, it lags so much! About 2/3 of the time, a mouse click anywhere results in a halt of the entire system of several seconds (I can actually read about a page on my kindle between the time that I click and the time that something happens). Also sometimes when I am typing (like as I type this message, or search for a program) there is a similar lag.

My computer is a little old (Lenovo X230T bought in 2012), is it just that Kubuntu now consumes so much processing power that my machine can't handle it? Is there some graphics stuff that I can turn down or something? Some processes running in the background that might be taking up all the memory? How do I figure out what is causing this?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Jason

Comment

I would start by looking at the available tools like the System Monitor and maybe KInfoCenter.

They can tell you if it's a particular application that's running wild or that you've run out of RAM. (swapping is hugely slow).

Comment

Working...
                              X