Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

According to system monitor, I am running 257 processes, using about 33% of CPU, 2.3/7.5 gigs of memory, and 0/2.3 gigs of swap. When I look at the graphs ("system load" tab), they look like the attached pictures, with one or more of the CPUs jumping up to 100% then back down. I have no idea how to interpret this.

I found this thread (https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...s-problem-back), could I be experiencing this problem as well? Earlier today i was trying to watch a video (.mp4 saved on my external drive), after a few minutes the screen went black, then to the login prompt like I had put the computer to sleep and just woken it up; when I logged on I got an error message about ksmserver not being able to run, and about 14 crash reports about akonadi. I tried watching the video again, but the video froze while the audio kept playing, and the mouse and keyboard were unresponsive. I ended up turning off the computer and booting up in windoze.

Jason
    Attached Files

Comment

At such a time when a (alternating or not) core goes into 100% have a look in the process table which one is causing it. You can sort the tables to show top CPU by clicking the column headers. Youre tale of the screen going black and eventually the whole system locking up sounds to me like overheating, this can happen when one core stays at 100%. My i7 regularly gets in such a situation because a Konsole is not being fully switched off, it clears the screen but remains in the process table at 12%, which means 100% of a single core (thread). I can then select the runaway application and kill it which really cools down the CPU. I've been seeing this problem since the early days of 15.10
      Last edited by Teunis; Feb 27, 2016, 05:50 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Well it's hard to tell, by the time I see the spike and then click on the other tab, the list of processes changes. I keep seeing "baloo_file_extractor" and "kwin_x11" and "plasma shell" come to the top, but then (for example) as an active window, like the browser, freezes, it comes to the top, jumps to 25-30%, then says "disk sleep" then back to a percentage.

But, when the whole system freezes, so does the system monitor, so I have no idea what process (if any) might be causing the freeze.

Jason

Comment

Baloo and especially it's predecessor Nepomuk are/were know to suck up lots of processing power.
          Switching off this indexing can help a lot.

There are ways to slow down Baloo but I'd have to ask Google how it's done. One way is to look for 'Search' in System Settings and switch off a bunch of file types.

You can easily keep an application on top to observe by typing (part of) the name into the search bar of the System Monitor.
          Last edited by Teunis; Feb 27, 2016, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Success!! I added /home to the "do not search" area, and now the lagging seems to be gone. Also my system monitor looks like the attached screenshot.

Thanks so much for your help Teunis, I really appreciate it!

Jason
            Attached Files

Comment

Great

I excluded my second 1TB hard drive with it's +100,000 of photos and documents.

Given enough time to finish the indexing this Baloo will eventually come to rest.

Comment

Working...
              X