Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A smidgen of WD-40 on a USB drive? Good idea / terrible idea?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A smidgen of WD-40 on a USB drive? Good idea / terrible idea?

When I was ordering my new Desktop PC from Newegg, they suggestive sold a 64-GB USB thumb drive to me. I didn't realize it at the time, but I was really buying it from a third-party seller in China, not straight from Newegg, and it was a seller that got trashed in the ratings. I was worried I may not even get it. However, I did receive it and it runs. However, I worked on some stuff in my Windows PC, properly ejected it, only to find the files had vanished once I tried to use it on my Kubuntu PC. They were not there back on the Windows PC either. Annoying. Turns out, the company that made this thing had made a 64-gig USB drive formatted with FAT32. Not smart. I reformatted it to exFAT, which solved the problem.

I thought of using this to hold movies and TV shows since my TV can play media files. However, the thing doesn't go into the USB port on my TV that well. Unlike my other USB thumb drives, it resists. It does go into my USB ports on all my computers just fine. With the TV it worries me a bit, and that device has only one USB port that I don't want to **** up.

So my question: Is it safe to put a smidgen of WD-40 onto the metal tip of the thumb drive so that it goes into my TV's USB port more easily? Or is this a really bad idea that could trash the USB port? I'm not too worried about ruining this thumb drive. It didn't cost me that much money, but the TV did. The TV is under a 3-year warranty, but I would prefer to never have to use that.

Would I trash my TV if I try this? If it's too risky I might as well buy another 64-gig thumb drive, this time from a more reputable company. This thing is generic. It doesn't even have a brand name on it.
    Last edited by Tom_ZeCat; Jan 30, 2016, 01:55 PM.
    Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
    ================================

Another idea is to permanently put a USB male-female cable in you tv, and connect your usb to the other end of this cable,
    In this way you wont break the tv usb port.
    Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religions
    linux user #447706 on https://linuxcounter.net
    A good place to start:
    Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

Comment

Originally posted by mbohets View Post
      Another idea is to permanently put a USB male-female cable in you tv, and connect your usb to the other end of this cable,
      In this way you wont break the tv usb port.
      That's a great idea. Thanks! I do believe I have one of those cables.

Btw, I see you're in Belgium. Est-ce que vous parlez français*?
      Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
      ================================

Comment

Perhaps a smidgen of vaseline rather than WD 40?
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Hi Tom,

I am in Belgium, in the dutch speaking part of the country.
          In Belgium, there are 3 language communities, Flemisch part (Dutch speaking) 58% of the population,
          French speaking part 38%, German speaking part 4% approximately.

Lots of people in the Flemisch part speak 3-4 languages, people from the other regions mostly only 2,
          which sometimes creates problems.
          Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religions
          linux user #447706 on https://linuxcounter.net
          A good place to start:
          Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

Comment

The outside of a USB plug is only a metal protective guide case. Put the lub on a kleenx and pat the outside of the metal

Chinese USB sticks have a habit of showing a large size on the initial sector but actually is half as big or less. Fill it with a block of ones using dX and then read it back out to see if you get 64GB of one's. Or, try to reformat it using kparted to see if you can reformat the whole 64GB
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X