X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New phantom connection

Hello,

This is just to let you know about an issue I recently confronted, issue you could also experience, although easy to solve.

Since I updated the system, sometime during the last two weeks or so (let say around January 10~20, 2016), when I shot down the computer, it kept making a sound like if the power went down while he was still working (the sound of an abnormal hard disc shut down). Moreover, the WiFi led on the router continued to stay on after the computer switched of, which was another abnormality. And this started to happen on two of my computers at the same moment (both with same OS: Kubuntu 14.04).

After a short investigation, found a second WiFi connection, a copy of the main one, which I never created. Also, it was never used: "last use" wrote "never". Believe it was created by one of these last weeks updates, because if had created it by mistake, it should appear only on my computer, not on my wife's too. Anyway, solved the issues by simply deleting these phantom connection. Now everything came back to normal.

Believe that before this, computer was trying to establish the phantom connection to the router after the main one was killed during the shut down process. So, shut down was happening while computer still working, thus the abnormal hard disc sound, and router behaviour.

Worth a check.

Bests,

PS1: Forgot to mention that both computers have 2 accounts each: admin. & user. And the phantom connections appeared on both machines only in the user account. Was surprised not to see them in the admin. too! Maybe this happened so because, if I do the updates from the admin., the first reboot after is usually to the user.

PS2: Actually, several days later issue showed back, with no phantom connection this time. Problems were solved after February 25, 2016 upgrade of pm-utils. Description says:
    pm-utils (1.4.1-13ubuntu0.2) trusty-proposed; urgency=medium

* 17-fix-wireless-hook.patch: Some drivers actually do have an "enable"
    attribute, so accept both "enable" and "enabled". Also invert the logic
    so that if neither attribute exists the device is considered enabled.
    (Closes: #773647, LP: #1544612)

-- Martin Pitt <martin.pitt@ubuntu.com> Mon, 15 Feb 2016 10:30:26 +0100

10 days later, and no more bad shut-downs.
    Last edited by aria; Mar 04, 2016, 11:47 PM. Reason: new explanation and fix
    aria
Working...
X