This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

virtual desktokps go black [less one of them]

After a fresh install in 3 machines (2 physical and 1 virtual under ESXi6) I am experiencing the same trouble in all three.

In all machines i set up 4 virtual desktops.

Some times only one have something. Others are in black. I must to go to the one is working with crtl+ fn (n= 1,2,3,4).

I must to quit and start a new session for having 4 normal desktops again.

Thaks in advanced.

I see many strange things in Plasma5 but the VirtualBox with a 32-bit version of XP is still showing up.

Btw, I'm presently on Intel video because nVidia fails in 15.10.

Comment

Originally posted by Alfons View Post
      After a fresh install in 3 machines (2 physical and 1 virtual under ESXi6) I am experiencing the same trouble in all three.

In all machines i set up 4 virtual desktops.

Some times only one have something. Others are in black. I must to go to the one is working with crtl+ fn (n= 1,2,3,4).
      Hello fellow kubuntu users.
      I've been a constant ubuntu user for some years now and recently I decided to switch from Unity to KDE, so I naturally went for kubuntu.

I do however have the same issue as @Alfons - as a fact I did encounter the same problem at the first reboot after installation: the workspace was blank, only the top left corner was active/sensitive and the lateral panel. Only in that case this has been resolved by shutdown-restart. I figured not everything ran completely through after the install - so restarting cold solved the issue.
      But now I am getting the exact same behaviour with the additional workspaces. My initial workspace works like a charm, I can do everything (KDE rulz at configuration options). But whatever workspace switcher I try, the other workspaces behave like that: blank screen, only top left corner responsive, but when clicked it gives nothing...
      I would like to mention that I am not an expert on Linux or even ubuntu, I have been using it like a normal user, I am familiar with some command line proceses, but not many.
      Thanks.

Comment

Hi folks, don't know that we have exchanged phosphors before, if not welcome!

This may be totally off the wall, but some time ago I decided to see what would happen if I had both "virtual desktops" AND "activities" enabled and it presented, as I remember, kind of the same situation.

I went back to "one virtual desktop" and things went back to normal. I also tried deleting "activities" and got the virtual desktops working.

If you would, maybe check to see if there are several activites also enabled.

And, also there are a bunch of compiz settings that can get in the way also.

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Hi again,
          I tried yesterday again and it seems it's working now. I did check the activities, but could find no issue with that. What I did in advance was to switch everything theme -related and windows settings to "breeze dark", I also set the GTK apps to fit with the "dark breeze". Before I did not have everything coherent with the "dark breeze" theme, especially the GTKs were not tweaked to fit.
          But last night the workspaces performed flawlessly.
          Thanks for the hints.
          I'm getting used to KDE and I'm liking it.

Comment

I'm glad that you have everything working and....I think that KDE will only grow on you!

Do NOT be a stranger!

woodsmoke
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
            X