Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I solved the problem by installing Calibre from a package downloaded directly from the Calibre website.

Comment

That is an example of why I never update one release version to the next. I back up my data, which is a good thing anyway, and do a fresh install. Some may do an upgrade and have good results, but doing a fresh install means one less variable to deal with.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

doing a fresh install means one less variable to deal with.
        Yes. Exactly. That, IMO, is the ticket to this game. Reduce the occurrence of too many variables at a time. For this reason, and as "we" have discussed many, many times here, I do all the partitioning ahead of time, in a separate step, using, say, GParted live CD/USB, prior to running the installer, for doing a fresh install. Take one basic step at a time, starting with checking your checksums.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Good pointers. Just one fly in the ointment: cost of memory/media to hold backup. Pensioner here
          Never had partitioning issues - just remember where it all went/goes, and to select partition for Grub.
          Eenyhoo - Solution to Calibre issue for me was 16.04 upgrade, and normal repo.
          Going back over my previous woes, not many skittles left to be knocked down. Main remnant is Muon Updater - its progress bar seems to indicate ony progress of download phase (just cosmetic, but a 'professional presentation' matter). Haven't bothered with bluetooth yet, but I guess time will tell.
          Thanks folks!

Comment

Pensioner here too. That and my wife's two heart and one hip operation is why I am still using this six year old laptop. However, since I haven't written any significant code since I retired eight years ago and only use this laptop for browsing, email, shopping, Minecraft and the occasional math modeling with Sage it doesn't have to be powerful. As long as Stellarium and Universe Sandbox^2 run smoothly I'm happy with the graphics.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

"There is no truth in the news, and no news in the truth." Agreed: the news is merely documentation of stupidity, and what's new there?

Comment

http://plancksconstant.org/blog1/200..._in_the_t.html

It is as true in this country as it was in the old USSR and now in Russia.

Comment

Q. E. D.
                  Last edited by Fester Bestertester; May 06, 2016, 03:51 PM.

Comment

I had it on Wiley, upgraded to Xerius and it was there but then I lost other packages, so it seems to be quirky....umm quirky, lol

woodsmoke
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                    X