This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unable to read screen

I am unsure what to call it, but the screen goes blurry. It happens only in the open windows and not on the desktop, app menu, nor splash screen. Happens with install dialog, firefox (websites) and system settings. Had no problem with previous kubuntu installs....

Asus desktop
    Intel graphics
    Dual core 4gb ram
    Dual boot Win10 (no problems)

Will try to submit a screenshot as soon as I get back to the house....

Thanks

perhaps a problem with your desktop effects settings? alt + shift + f12 should quick enable/disable the compositor . if that works you should disable or try different settings under systemsettings-> display -> compositor
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
      perhaps a problem with your desktop effects settings? alt + shift + f12 should quick enable/disable the compositor . if that works you should disable or try different settings under systemsettings-> display -> compositor
      It does not work... It clears just for a second then goes right back.

Comment

Comment

Weird it happens only for the windows 'in focus'.
          Otherwise I would thing of the wrong refresh rate of the monitor.

Try a different 'backend for rendering' in the Compositor.
          The options are GL 3.1, GL 2.0 and XRender.

Especially the last one might make a difference

Comment

Did not work. Tried all three and neither did anything.

I read somewhere else that there seems to be a problem with the kernel and Intel graphics. It seems that others are having the same problems that I am having. One thread on another forum stated that they had no problem with 15.04 but once they upgraded to 15.10, it started. Wanted to give plasma 5 a run but I guess I will wait a little while.
            Last edited by revmns; Jan 22, 2016, 03:54 PM.

Comment

if none of them change anything try unchecking the "start the compositor at start up" checkbox. you will need to log out and back in to have it take effect.
              i now wonder what video card you have since i have a few machines w/ intel and have not seen that kind of video issue. worst i've seen was some tearing .
              Code:
              lshw -c video
              and it should show you your video card info.
              Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
              (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
                if none of them change anything try unchecking the "start the compositor at start up" checkbox. you will need to log out and back in to have it take effect.
                i now wonder what video card you have since i have a few machines w/ intel and have not seen that kind of video issue. worst i've seen was some tearing .
                Code:
                lshw -c video
                and it should show you your video card info.
                *-display:0
                description: VGA compatible controller
                product: 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
                vendor: Intel Corporation
                physical id: 2
                bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
                version: 03
                width: 64 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: msi pm vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
                configuration: driver=i915 latency=0
                resources: irq:42 memory:fe400000-fe7fffff memory:d0000000-dfffffff ioport:dc00(size=8)
                *-display:1 UNCLAIMED
                description: Display controller
                product: 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller
                vendor: Intel Corporation
                physical id: 2.1
                bus info: pci@0000:00:02.1
                version: 03
                width: 64 bits
                clock: 33MHz
                capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
                configuration: latency=0
                resources: memory:fea00000-feafffff

I had already attempted to click it off and log out..... I confirmed that it was still unchecked when I logged back in..... nothing changed.

Comment

Found what might be a solution but I don't know how one would implement this on a live cd/usb.... I would like to try but I cant see enough to get it installed. I might check 15.04 and see about an upgrade to 15.10 (just a thought). Any ideas would be appreciated.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/68864...-screen-glitch

Thanks

Comment

You wrote you had a dual boot, so why do you want to change this on a live disk

In case the problem is on the Kubuntu of the dual boot do:
                    Code:
                    kdesudo kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf
                    Add the following:
                    Section "Device"
                    Identifier "Intel Graphics"
                    Driver "intel"
                    Option "AccelMethod" "uxa"
                    EndSection
                    And save.

If you experience too much tearing to do it this way you can access the same file via the live disk, obviously on one of the HD partitions.

Comment

Couple of thoughts here:

#1 If you're running off a live CD/USB, changing kernels isn't possible and any edits will have to be repeated at each boot, but switching to 15.04 is possible. Just make a new live media and reboot.
                      #2 If you can terminate the GUI or boot to the text console, it's possible to create an xorg.conf that might work:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf
                      Code:
                      Section "Device"
                              Driver "intel"
                      EndSection
                      However again, you'd have to redo this every time you boot if you continue to run from the GUI.

#3 Your above output shows two video devices. Likely means two output ports on the mobo. I once had an Intel video that would display two "screens" - one on top of the other - on a single monitor. The effect was similar to what you're describing. Could be that, but since one shows "Unclaimed" it's not likely. Still, check with the xrandr command in a terminal window and it will show all screen assignments. If it show more than one connected - you've found the issue.

From what I read, it's a kernel bug that is fixed in the latest release. If it were me, I'd either start out with 15.04 (bug not present in the 3.19 kernels) and stay there for a while, or install 15.10 and immediately update the kernel and cross fingers.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                        You wrote you had a dual boot, so why do you want to change this on a live disk

In case the problem is on the Kubuntu of the dual boot do:
                        Code:
                        kdesudo kate /etc/X11/xorg.conf
                        Add the following:

And save.

If you experience too much tearing to do it this way you can access the same file via the live disk, obviously on one of the HD partitions.
                        Dual booting mint cinnamon and win10. Wanted to give kub 15.10 a spin as I am wanting to move away from cinnamon for now. I was running the live disk in order to install but unable to see way around. I checked out the usb but saw no x11 folder so I was unsure about how to set up a conf file on the usb. Once installed, I could update kernel or apply this fix.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                          Couple of thoughts here:

#1 If you're running off a live CD/USB, changing kernels isn't possible and any edits will have to be repeated at each boot, but switching to 15.04 is possible. Just make a new live media and reboot.
                          #2 If you can terminate the GUI or boot to the text console, it's possible to create an xorg.conf that might work:

/etc/X11/xorg.conf
                          Code:
                          Section "Device"
                                  Driver "intel"
                          EndSection
                          However again, you'd have to redo this every time you boot if you continue to run from the GUI.

#3 Your above output shows two video devices. Likely means two output ports on the mobo. I once had an Intel video that would display two "screens" - one on top of the other - on a single monitor. The effect was similar to what you're describing. Could be that, but since one shows "Unclaimed" it's not likely. Still, check with the xrandr command in a terminal window and it will show all screen assignments. If it show more than one connected - you've found the issue.

From what I read, it's a kernel bug that is fixed in the latest release. If it were me, I'd either start out with 15.04 (bug not present in the 3.19 kernels) and stay there for a while, or install 15.10 and immediately update the kernel and cross fingers.
                          Running dual monitors and both work correctly. Does not matter which display I move an open window to, I always get the same result.

Comment

Dual booting mint cinnamon and win10. Wanted to give kub 15.10 a spin as I am wanting to move away from cinnamon for now. I was running the live disk in order to install but unable to see way around. I checked out the usb but saw no x11 folder so I was unsure about how to set up a conf file on the usb. Once installed, I could update kernel or apply this fix.
                            Yeah, you're not going to be able to apply this fix to the USB. That's why you'd have to do it at every reboot. Boot into the Live environment, then switch to terminal mode, kill the GUI, make the xorg.conf file as Teunis and I suggested, and re-launch the GUI.

Commands:

CTRL-ALT-F1 [and log in]
                            sudo service sddm stop
                            sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf [enter the stuff from above and save]
                            sudo service sddm start

It really serves as a test not a solution at this point. If it fixes the issue, you'll know what to do after you install it.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                              Yeah, you're not going to be able to apply this fix to the USB. That's why you'd have to do it at every reboot. Boot into the Live environment, then switch to terminal mode, kill the GUI, make the xorg.conf file as Teunis and I suggested, and re-launch the GUI.

Commands:

CTRL-ALT-F1 [and log in]
                              sudo service sddm stop
                              sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf [enter the stuff from above and save]
                              sudo service sddm start

It really serves as a test not a solution at this point. If it fixes the issue, you'll know what to do after you install it.

This did work and I was able to install. During install I selected to download updates and after installed more updates. Everything is clear...... Although I have had a few crashes.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                              X