This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Boot on Surface Pro 4 [ ? ] question

A student for one of my sections next semester approached me about purchasing the latest Windblows "surface" tablet, the SurfacePro 4 and dual booting it.

WOAH!! :0

One of the reasons for this is that I have converted a lot of my activities/labs to Excel Spreadsheet as a "universal form" so that people with Macs, tablets, lappys etc. can enter data directly on the device and then e-mail me results.

Thus saving trees!! lol SUPPOSEDLY! lol

To allay questions, I very CAREFULLY format the cells so that they will print "almost" like a "document" and the students have 500 pages of "free paper" provided as part of their student account and they can print directly from a terminal at the college.

And, I also will provide a photocopy for the ever decreasing number of students who are just not going to get involved with computers.

Anywhoooo I did a little searching around and found THIS ARTICLE on dualbooting with the Surface Pro 3 which is fairly straightforward...

just wanted to ask if anyone has tried such an install on a Surface Pro 4

any help will be greatly appreciated by the student, and myself.

woodappreciativesmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

No, haven't tried it (or anything close). And I didn't watch the vid. The brief outline of steps he listed looks fairly standard except--and I'm sure you also caught this little detail--
    Recompile the kernel (because the drivers for Surface Pro 3 don’t work by default)
    I've never done that, but reading posted comments here and there, that could be your gatcha, as the author says, we are getting a bit geeky on this task. Does the vid cover everything you need for this 3rd step, or will there be missing drivers, kernel options, kernel tweaks, and such ... ?
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

LOL
      HEY THANK YOU

That was what I also noticed. lo

He popped in today after my first set of finals.......

The thing does not have "a hard drive".

https://www.microsoft.com/surface/en...face-pro-specs

I PERSONALLY THINK............

that if someone could get a "Usb drive" to have " a linux on it" that would somehow bypass the initial boot" that the usb virtual install of "linux" would be the way to go........

he gave up......

but he does have a Toshiba lppy with Win whatever on it and dual boot with Ubuntu...

we can only do so much........

woodtryingsmoke
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
      X