This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help With USB Wifi and ndiswrapper

Im upgrading from Windows 10 to Kubuntu. The installation itself went fine but the only problem is when I try to install the driver for my Netgear N-300 WNA3100 USB wifi adapter using the windows wireless drivers tool or the command line. It keeps saying:

Module could not be loaded. Error was:
    modprobe: FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.
    is the ndiswrapper installed?
    The problem is I've already installed and reinstalled ndiswrapper multiple times. I couldnt use the sudo apt-get command because Im not connected to the internet (obviously) so I had to download the packages off of http://packages.ubuntu.com/ and copy them over with a USB. I am very new to Linux but I have spent hours on this issue and nothing has helped, please help me.

WIFI ADAPTER: Netgear N-300 WNA3100
    VERSION: Kubuntu 15.10 on desktop
    CPU: AMD FX™ 4350 Quad Core
    GPU: EVGA GeForce® GT 740 SC
    MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte™ 78LMT-USB3
    RAM: 4GB

what packages did you download ,,,,,and how did you try to install them ,,,,just copying them over dose not install them.

you would nead at least the top 3 in this list http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?ke...ly&section=all

put them in a folder by their selves and open a konsole in that folder and do
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb
    you cant get a hard wire to the computer long enuff to install with apt-get ,,,,,,,,it would be the easiest choice as some of these may have dependencies of their own

look hear http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2221251

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Ive installed it using both the console and by double clicking on the file and got no error messages. I also do not have access to a wired connection since the router is on the other side of my house and my PC is a desktop. I have however tried using a tether and wifi sharing from my laptop. Right now Im trying to use an old router as a wifi adapter.

Comment

Here is a dry run of the installation of NDIS in Trusty
        (the -s switch makes it a dry run. No real changes are made)
        Code:
        $ sudo apt-get -s install ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
        Reading package lists... Done
        Building dependency tree       
        Reading state information... Done
        The following extra packages will be installed:
          ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-dkms
        Suggested packages:
          ndiswrapper-source
        The following NEW packages will be installed:
          ndiswrapper-common ndiswrapper-dkms ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
        0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.
        Inst ndiswrapper-common (1.59-2 Ubuntu:14.04/trusty [all])
        Inst ndiswrapper-dkms (1.59-2 Ubuntu:14.04/trusty [all])
        Inst ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 (1.59-2 Ubuntu:14.04/trusty [amd64])
        Conf ndiswrapper-common (1.59-2 Ubuntu:14.04/trusty [all])
        Conf ndiswrapper-dkms (1.59-2 Ubuntu:14.04/trusty [all])
        Conf ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 (1.59-2 Ubuntu:14.04/trusty [amd64])
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by esfores View Post
          . I also do not have access to a wired connection since the router is on the other side of my house and my PC is a desktop.
          you do ,,,,,,you just do not feel like moving the desktop for a few.

VINNY
          16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            Code:
            $ sudo apt-get -s install ndiswrapper-utils-1.9
            is there a way to do this without an internet connection?

Comment

Originally posted by esfores View Post
              is there a way to do this without an internet connection?
              no ,,,,,,,move the desktop to the router .

PS their is no module "ndiswrapper" ,,,,,,you can not just modprobe ndiswrapper.
              if you did install the the 3 necessary files then read the man page for ndiswrapper to see how to use it .
              basically you nead the windows XP driver INF file and install it with "ndiswrapper -i path to inf file" them "ndiswrapper -m" to write an alias for the wireless device into module config file .

VINNY
              16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                no ,,,,,,,move the desktop to the router .

PS their is no module "ndiswrapper" ,,,,,,you can not just modprobe ndiswrapper.
                if you did install the the 3 necessary files then read the man page for ndiswrapper to see how to use it .
                basically you nead the windows XP driver INF file and install it with "ndiswrapper -i path to inf file" them "ndiswrapper -m" to write an alias for the wireless device into module config file
                VINNY
                There used to be an app called "ndiswrapper", which took several switches (-i for install, -e for erase, -m for mod loading and -r for removing the mod), IIRC. That's what a lot of OLD internet links still show, which leads to confusion and frustration this thread has revealed.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  There used to be an app called "ndiswrapper", which took several switches (-i for install, -e for erase, -m for mod loading and -r for removing the mod), IIRC. That's what a lot of OLD internet links still show, which leads to confusion and frustration this thread has revealed.
                  so does ndiswrapper not exist anymore or is it a different thing or what?

Comment

Like VINNY said, the old ndiswrapper isn't supported any more. What is in the repository are the applications shown in my post above.
                    When you install the ndiswrapper-utils app it pulls the others in. Then it pulls the firmware code off of your wireless chip, IF it can identify it, and the does its magic automatically. Once installed you can lsmod to see what modules were installed and then use modinfo to see what switches are available. Or, you can use lspci or lshw to see what your wireless chip is and look at the kernel wireless drivers website
                    https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org
                    to see IF there is a driver for your chip. If there is then that site will also include instructions on how to install it

Comment

Ok so next time i get a chance ill try moving my computer downstairs

Comment

Working...
                      X