Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Muon does not install security updates automatically, keeps prompting me.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muon does not install security updates automatically, keeps prompting me.

I set up Muon to automatically install security updates, but it does not seem to be happening. Am I doing something wrong?

I went to Muon Discover > Sources tab > Configure Software Sources button. This opens the "Software Sources" window.

In the "Kubuntu Software" tab, I have checked:
    main
    universe
    restricted
    multiverse

In the "Updates" tab:
    Under "Kubuntu updates", I have "Important security updates" checked, and nothing else (no Recommended, no Pre-released, no Unsupported).

Under "Automatic updates", I have checked "Check for updates: Daily" and "Install security updates without confirmation".

So, given this setup, what is the expected behavior? I was expecting that as soon as updates were detected, they would be installed without any user intervention. At most, some updates might notify they require a restart. Does that sound right? Or another possibility would be a notification that security updates were pending, but then they would automatically install upon shutdown or restart?

But instead, what I see is a notification everyday for the same security updates, and I am purposely not clicking "Installl Updates", just to see how/when it auto installs. But it's been a few days already, including several shutdown and restarts, and it looks like the same updates are still pending:
    > System Updates 38.0 MiB
    >> OpenJDK Java 7 Runtime 7u85-2.6.1-5ubuntu0.14.04.1 167.4 KiB
    >> libsctp1 1.0.15+dfsg-1 9.0 KiB
    >> lksctp-tools 1.0.15+dfsg-1 50.1 KiB
    >> openjdk-7-jre-headless 7u85-2.6.1-5ubuntu0.14.04.1 37.8 MiB

Known bug in the systray icon, showing incorrect update information, which they are still trying to fix iirc.

Comment

Thanks. Does "incorrect update information" mean those updates should not even be listed?

Can I rely on apt-get on the command line as the "correct" reference, or is it also affected by this bug? When I run apt-get on the command line (in simulation mode), the results seem to confirm the same packages that the systray icon is prompting for.

apt-get -s upgrade
      NOTE: This is only a simulation!
      [...]
      The following packages have been kept back:
      openjdk-7-jre openjdk-7-jre-headless
      0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.

apt-get -s dist-upgrade
      [...]
      The following NEW packages will be installed:
      libsctp1 lksctp-tools
      The following packages will be upgraded:
      2 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

So if the command line is correct, then it sounds like Muon system tray icon is also correct, and the bug is that these updates are not getting auto installed. Unless they are both wrong in listing these updates to begin with?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob.Blockerlundt View Post
        Thanks. Does "incorrect update information" mean those updates should not even be listed?

Can I rely on apt-get on the command line as the "correct" reference, or is it also affected by this bug? When I run apt-get on the command line (in simulation mode), the results seem to confirm the same packages that the systray icon is prompting for.

apt-get -s upgrade
        [...]
        The following packages have been kept back:
        0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 2 not upgraded.

apt-get -s dist-upgrade
        [...]
        The following NEW packages will be installed:
        libsctp1 lksctp-tools
        The following packages will be upgraded:
        2 upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

So if the command line is correct, then it sounds like Muon system tray icon is also correct, and the bug is that these updates are not getting auto installed. Unless they are both wrong in listing these updates to begin with?
        Yeah, the bug is definitely in the system that performs the autoinstall option you chose.

The tray icon simply is displaying the incorrect number/type of updates, and does not change after the update is performed, or at least that what seems to be happening for most. Perhaps the autoinstall you set up is broken because of this? I would tend to think it is something else, as the part that does the automatic installation of security updates is not actually handled by muon updater itself, if I am not mistaken, and is the same background system used in Ubuntu.

I don't use this setting, but do use the "download updates in the background" one, and that part is working.
        Last edited by claydoh; Nov 09, 2015, 11:21 PM.

Comment

I think this sounds like a different issue. I believe the system tray was correct for me, because it was displaying updates I did not yet have (as verified using command line apt-get).

Maybe the GUI auto install works fine for "apt-get upgrade" equivalent stuff, but it chokes if the upgrade requires a "dist-upgrade" (as in my example, above). Is this by design? Or is it a bug? Where would I search for or file this bug?

For my case, I created a workaround by having a daily cron job call a script that does:
          apt-get update
          apt-get -y dist-upgrade
          then restart the computer.

After I did this, the packages listed above got installed, and the system tray no longer nags me.

Comment

Working...
          X