This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just want to say: Dropbox is back

I just want to say since yesterday the Dropbox icon has again appeared in the system tray.

And I can't point to a particular update that caused it...

,, mine has been hear for some time ,,,,,,,but their was a "dropbox" update in the past few days.

I had installed all the "appindicator" packages I could locate with "apt search" however!

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
      I just want to say since yesterday the Dropbox icon has again appeared in the system tray.

And I can't point to a particular update that caused it...
      I think (corrections welcome) that Dropbox has its own updater. So, unlike, say google-chrome, which adds its repo to your software sources, you do not notice its updates. If you do a ps -ef | grep dropbox, you can see the version number.

Comment

Originally posted by mparillo View Post
        I think (corrections welcome) that Dropbox has its own updater. So, unlike, say google-chrome, which adds its repo to your software sources, you do not notice its updates. If you do a ps -ef | grep dropbox, you can see the version number.
        Yeah, and every time it updates it wipes out my custom icons. That lo-res white box is BORING...

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by mparillo View Post
          correction hear ,,,,,,,,,,,

Code:
          vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ ls
          [COLOR=#ff0000]dropbox.list[/COLOR]        google-chrome.list.save  mjblenner-ubuntu-ppa-hal-wily.list
          dropbox.list.save   google-earth.list
          google-chrome.list  google-earth.list.save
          Code:
          vinny@vinny-Bonobo-Extreme:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ cat dropbox.list
          deb [arch=i386,amd64] http://linux.dropbox.com/ubuntu wily main
          VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thanks Vinny. Maybe because I followed the Headless CLI instructions instead of the .deb (that I seem to recall used to have a Nautilus dependency)?
            Code:
            mparillo@mparillo-HP-EliteBook-8440p:/etc/apt/sources.list.d$ ls -alc
            total 24
            drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Sep 17 06:49 .
            drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Aug  1 20:25 ..
            -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  168 Oct  7 19:09 danielrichter2007-ubuntu-grub-customizer-wily.list
            -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  168 Oct  7 19:09 danielrichter2007-ubuntu-grub-customizer-wily.list.save
            -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  176 Oct  7 19:09 google-chrome.list
            -rw-r--r-- 1 root root  176 Oct  7 19:09 google-chrome.list.save

Comment

In the mean time that othre icon, the one of HPLIP has again disappeared.

After boot it will show up but then a little error windows pops up with the message it could not find a systen tray, clicking the OK will make the icon and pop up disappear...
              A bit of a repeat of a couple of months ago.

Comment

I found the following link to the bug report and an easy fix:
                https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...p/+bug/1460445

The problem is the order in which certain parts of the DE initiate, by slowing down HPLIP it will only initiate once the system tray is ready.

Peter Liedler (peter-liedler) wrote on 2015-08-18: #5
                This appears to be a problem with older systems. A workaround is to modify the startup desktop connection file (/etc/xdg/autostart/hplip-systray.desktop) from
                Exec=hp-systray -x
                to
                Exec=sh -c "sleep 15; exec hp-systray -x"

Comment

Working...
                X