This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installer crashes with error messages

I've tried to upgrade my main 64-bit system from 15.04 to 15.10, first by doing a distribution upgrade, and then by installing from 64-bit DVD. In both cases the installer crashed with the error messages: "error removing shared-mime-info", and "subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status". That latter message suggested a problem with post-installation cleanup, so I tried booting to see what would happen. The system started, but very slowly, and some apps appeared to work, but several triggered another message that libicuuc.so.52 could not be found (the version that was installed was libicuuc.so.55).

Also. I had no internet connection. Manually running ifconfig and route add gw with appropriate numbers, and specifying nameservers, did not help much - I was able to ping local machines, the nameservers, and some other systems, but still could not otherwise connect to the net.

Here's an interesting part - I did a 32-bit clean install on a second drive on the same system, which did not generate the same errors, although as others have reported, it starts up very slowly and with screen flicker. I also used the 64-bit DVD on another machine, and that install seemed to complete without errors.

I've since reverted the main machine to 15.04. Specs are MSI P965 Neo motherboard with Intel Core 2Duo, 650W P/S, 4Gb memory, 500Gb and 160Gb hard drives DVD-RW, Nvidia GT 9600 video card.

Any idea what could be causing the above errors?

another try

OK, I've tried again, this time running an online update from the command line. This time, the update appeared to complete but had some error messages at the end. Before continuing, I saved the text to a USB stick. The system rebooted, but it still shows some errors, and I have no networking - I can't even ping my router. (I'm using a different install to send this). Here is the last lines of text displayed by the upgrade process:
    update-mime-database.real: error while loading shared libraries: libicuuc.so.52: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    dpkg: error processing package shared-mime-info (--remove):
    subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127
    Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.15-0ubuntu1) ...
    Processing triggers for man-db (2.7.4-1) ...
    ERROR: Cannot create report: [Errno 17] File exists: '/var/crash/shared-mime-info.0.crash'
    Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.21-0ubuntu4.1) ...
    Processing triggers for fontconfig (2.11.1-0ubuntu6) ...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    shared-mime-info
    Error in function:

SystemError: E:Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    Error in sys.excepthook:
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apport_python_hook.py", line 102, in apport_excepthook
    pr.add_proc_info(extraenv=['PYTHONPATH', 'PYTHONHOME'])
    File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apport/report.py", line 539, in add_proc_info
    raise ValueError('%s does not exist' % self['ExecutablePath'])
    ValueError: /usr/bin/python3.4 (deleted) does not exist

Original exception was:
    SystemError: E:Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Error during commit

A problem occured during the clean-up. Please see the below message
    for more information.

installArchives() failed

System upgrade is complete.

Restart required

To complete the upgrade, a system restart is required.
    If you select 'y' the system will be restarted.

Continue [yN]

Comment

FIXED. Sort of. After coping over libicuuc.so.52 and libicudata.so.52 from the backup of my 15.04 install, and rerunning dpkg --configure -a and apt-get -f install, the system is now booting with full networking. WHY it wants the .so.52 versions rather than the newly installed .so.55 versions escapes me..... On other systems, it uses the new versions.

Comment

Sounds like a Microsoft problem. Rather embarrassing that Linux would suffer a Microsoft type problem.
        Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

Working...
        X