This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

15.10 installer won't detect SSD disk

I made a usb stick with Kubuntu 15.10 (amd64), to upgrade my htpc.

The "burning" worked seemingly perfect. The stick started my computer without a hitch into "Try out or Install" mode. "Try out" works perfectly.

But it won't install - in fact, the installer can't see my 250 GB SanDisk SSD at all! It's the same when I run Partition Editor - not a trace of the SSD!

When I try the usb stick on another computer, also with an SSD - no problem at all!

Next step was to erase the stick, and "burn" an ISO of 14.10 (which I, btw, run on my computer now) on it - no problems at all.

But when I "reburn" the stick with the 15.10, the problem is back - not a glimpse of the SSD :/

Any ideas?

What method do you use to "burn" the iso to the USB stick?

(In case I'm not around when you reply ... UNetbootin seems to--may--have issues now and then. The fool-proof way to eliminate this "burning" variable is to do the "burning" using the Linux dd command, as per this:
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post378712
    Another "test": does GParted (Live CD/USB)--a proven, reliable GUI partitioning tool--see your SSD?
    http://gparted.org/livecd.php
    Another aspect: 15.10 is new, being tested.)
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hi, Qqmike!

I used Startup Disk Creator, which has worked very well for me before. And since the stick doesn't have any problems with my other computer - and it works with 14.10 - I find it hard to believe that the problem lies there.

Re GParted: I wasn't clear on that point. It's only when I run the 15.10 in TryOut mode that the SSD doesn't show up in PartEd - otherwise no problem at all!
      (Maybe I'm not thinking clearly here - maybe the SSD *shouldn't* show up, in TryOut mode? Have to test that on my wifes computer...)

Comment

Startup Disk Creator, ... works with 14.10
        Yeah, it should be OK (but 15.10 is new and a different version than 14.10).

maybe the SSD *shouldn't* show up, in TryOut mode?
        The SSD should show up, even in try-out mode (in fact, using your live Kubuntu DVD is one way to conduct a rescue operation on another disk).
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I will look into this tomorrow - thanks for the feedback!!!
          Do you thing it might help to format the SSD beforehand?

Comment

Do you thing it might help to format the SSD beforehand?
            Yes.
            At least a partition table (either the older MBR or the newer GPT).

Comment

Originally posted by tryfan View Post
              I made a usb stick with Kubuntu 15.10 (amd64), to upgrade my htpc.

The "burning" worked seemingly perfect. The stick started my computer without a hitch into "Try out or Install" mode. "Try out" works perfectly.

But it won't install - in fact, the installer can't see my 250 GB SanDisk SSD at all! It's the same when I run Partition Editor - not a trace of the SSD!

When I try the usb stick on another computer, also with an SSD - no problem at all!

Next step was to erase the stick, and "burn" an ISO of 14.10 (which I, btw, run on my computer now) on it - no problems at all.

But when I "reburn" the stick with the 15.10, the problem is back - not a glimpse of the SSD :/

Any ideas?
              So strange. My 'burned' usb iso wouldn't even boot the first time. Downloaded a new copy of the iso and put it on a stick using yumi in windows. Worked fine 2nd try. You didn't say if you had tried getting a fresh copy of the iso. It installed fine to my 850 EVO

Comment

Working...
              X