Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmmm .... had a helluva time locating info, not sure this is the right unit:
    http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/NP-RF511-S01UK
    if so, its User's Guide:
    http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...Manual_eng.pdf
    if so, it says nothing about BIOS = UEFI; it looks like a legacy BIOS firmware, not UEFI, even though it came with Windows 7? On the borderline ... came out just before UEFI became more widespread. Am I reading this right?
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I live in Aus, so it might take a little while to reply

I've turned off Fst Boot, turned off secure boot (sorry what is CSM?). I turned of legacy support
      Have the 64 bit version of kubutnu and booted using uefi mode for both DVD and USB
      I click on try kubuntu. It then loads up with a screen that has Live session user and password prompt. You can't change Live session user in anyway
      Clicking login will then try to log you on but comes back with incorrect password
      Both the DVD and USB will boot on my laptop that has normal bios and will load the live session
      15.04 will boot into live session as well on the HP I'm having trouble with - it does mention something about insecure mode while booting
      15.10 doesn't mention insecure mode but stops on the logon screen
      I have a HP Pavilion 500-406a
      I'm not an expert in linux but I usually can get stuff fixed myself by googling but this one has me stumped

Comment

Hi Anthonya. I see this is your thread. I confused your case with that of Paradoxcy's. But both are similar.

sorry what is CSM?
        CSM is for legacy-boot support; it is used if you want to run your (newer) UEFI in (the older) legacy mode. If you are using UEFI to boot your PC (it seems you are), you want CSM to be OFF (and legacy support to be off). CSM may be called "legacy support" in your "BIOS" setup.

15.04 will boot into live session as well on the HP I'm having trouble with - it does mention something about insecure mode while booting
        That simply means your computer is booting with Secure Boot turned off -- and that is OK (in fact, it is usually preferred).

I have a HP Pavilion 500-406a
        It sounds like you know how to enter "BIOS" setup and that you have found the settings (for Secure Boot, etc.). I was unable to locate any user manual showing me the BIOS setup menus on that computer model -- as if HP doesn't want the user to mess with it!

It sounds like you have done everything right. I have had some versions of Kubuntu do this same thing: upon booting the live Kubuntu DVD for a live session, it asks for user name and password; but, I was able to simply press Enter and "click past" the issue with no problem and get booted into a live Kubuntu session.

However, you clearly are not able to do that. So ... perhaps this is a bug/glitch in this new 15.10 computer code I really am not sure at this point.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Two things:

(1) Bug reports -->

Ubuntu 15.04 live cd prompting for username and password

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...p/+bug/1445206

That is NOT 15.10, of course, but that is where I've seen this happening. Could easily also be a bug in 15.10, not yet reported.

(2) Maybe try this trick (when you see the log-in screen) -->

1. Switch to vt1 (ctrl-alt-f1)
          2. type “passwd” and press enter
          3. press enter again to set the current password to blank
          4. enter a new password twice
          5. Check that the password has been successfully changed
          6. Switch back to vt7 (ctrl-alt-f7)
          7. Enter the new password to login

(vt is virtual terminal; vt7 gets you back to the GUI--the graphical display)
          Last edited by Qqmike; Oct 27, 2015, 04:12 AM.

Comment

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=354393

This bug is mentioned in 15.10 also. Still shows as unconfirmed.

Your method doesnt work because it asks for the username.
            so the only username that works is kubuntu@kubuntu with blank password

Going back to vt7 has no use because the user is still 'Live Session user'

If we can get the Live session user to change to Kubuntu@kubuntu then it would be nice.

Comment

Thanks Qqmike. I've tried the trick with the passwd but it didn't work. By memory, it wouldn't except passwd as a command as it wasn't logged in. I will try it again though and see what happens.
              BTW, HP is a giant pain with their system. They have software in win8/10 that tracks changes to the boot order and then change it back to boot win only. I have to go into the bios everytime I've being in windows and change the boot order.
              Got it fixed in 8 but didn't write it down (yup, moron is me) and then win10 upgrade put the damn thing back in.
              Paradoxcy, thanks for that link to the bug. It looks like it's only just being raised, so I will keep an eye on it.
              I might try and upgrade the bios and see if that has any affect.
              I do need to reinstall win10 so I might just blow everything away, do a vanilla install of win, thank install 15.04 and try to upgrade to 15.10 from muon

Comment

Not an expert here on any of this, just wondering, though, how about
                sudo passwd
                ?
                i.e., issue the command(s) as with admin privileges?

Comment

I'll give sudo passwd a try tomorrow. I'm off to bed now

Comment

Not an expert here on any of this, just wondering, though, how about
                    sudo passwd
                    ?
                    i.e., issue the command(s) as with admin privileges?

Comment

Looks like I posted this twice for some reason I can't sort out! Oh well ...

Anthonya: I'll give sudo passwd a try tomorrow. I'm off to bed now
                      -- OK.

Comment

GOOD NEWS!

Don't know whether it will help Anthonya or not.

The issue at my end was that I had two external monitors connected to my laptop and the graphics driver couldn't automatically render the OS in both the external screens. That is why it went into the Live user loop.

This luckily came to my attention when I was just about to give up on Kubuntu and try out Linux Mint KDE to experience the KDE environment. Surprisingly that also did not boot. But in Linux mint vt1 (Ctrl+Alt+F1) a clear error message comes in the command line that there is an error in the Xorg nouveau driver.

So that got me thinking. After that I disconnected all my external peripherals and booted it up again. Linux Mint booted perfectly and so did Kubuntu!

So I recommend Anthonya to disconnect anything and everything connected to his machine and then give it a go.
                        Last edited by Paradoxcy; Oct 27, 2015, 02:36 PM.

Comment

Good news! and interesting, too!
                          It is clearly some kind of a hardware issue, isn't it?, as some people don't report this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                            It is clearly some kind of a hardware issue, isn't it?, as some people don't report this problem.
                            I am 100 percent sure that it is a hardware issue. But IMHO the kubuntu command line should have described the error as it did in Linux Mint. That would have saved a lot of trouble for me.

But anyways. It ended well. Now the real kubuntu experience will begin :-)

Comment

Working...
                            X