X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 15.10 asks for password for live session

I'm hoping someone can help me.
    I'm got a HP dual boot with win 10 and 15.04 - poorly upgraded to 15.10
    Due to issues with Win10 and me stuffing up the upgrade to 15.10 I want to reformat and reinstall everything
    NB my 15.10 upgrade froze at updating pulse audio - I stupidly rebooted - once I got back in I manually ran the apt update
    I have UEFI, fast boot turned off and I can either enable or disable legacy support in bios
    But everytime I boot the live cd of 15.10 it asks for a password - this doesn't happen on my laptop using same dvd
    15.04 boots live session without any problems - NOTE: when I boot from 15.04 it says somelike insecure mode - this doesn't
    happen in 15.10.
    I'm not even sure where to look for this one? I'm assuming its UEFI and I probably needs to add some switches to the install

Addt info NB the pc is HP Pavilion Desktop PC 500-406aa. Fast boot is disabled.
    Just before it gives me the option to enter a password on the logon screen, it briefly shows the command prompt login which is blank.
    I can Ctrl-Alt F1 and logon with username of kubuntu and blank password - I then have access to system.
    I've attempted to start X but it won't do it but can shutdown -r now
    but when I switch back to ctrl alt F7, the logon screen is frozen
    I tried setting up a bootable USB with 15.10, same issue.

Yup. Same problem here.

Live session asks for a password.

Strangely it asks for password only on my samsung rf-511 laptop.

It does not ask for password on my hp envy m6 laptop, which incidentally has Windows 10 installed.

Any help is appreciated.

Comment

Just hit Enter. You don't need a PW to use a live session. (User name may be kubuntu.)
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hitting enter has no affect, it won't do anything and won't go into the live session. I can't click on the logon icon and change anything there. However, if I type in kubuntu, password or anything else, it says incorrect password.
        It's almost as if it's not passing on kubuntu as the logon name. If I go to ctrl - alt - f1, and use kubuntu as logon and password as nothing, I get to a command prompt and I can navigate around ect, but I cant get kde running
        However, going back to ctrl - alt - F7 and the logon screen is unresponsive.
        I did try startx but I'm not sure that is the command to start kde session manually.
        NOTE: booting on a laptop that doesn't UEFI with the same DVD works as expected and I get into a live session.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
          Just hit Enter. You don't need a PW to use a live session. (User name may be kubuntu.)
          It won't work because the username is already there as 'Live session user'

As Anthonya said, that one can hit Ctrl+Alt+F2 and navigate around, we just cannot enter the OS.

I have also tried initiating adding a new user through

sudo adduser 'username'

But that also doesn't help.

Comment

Have you tried just deleting the username on that screen and then pressing Enter through both fields?
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sorry, I haven't had time to d/l and try 15.10 live.

But regarding UEFI booting:

You said you are booting in UEFI mode.
              Good.
              Turn off Fast Boot, turn off Secure Boot, do NOT turn on CSM, do NOT turn on legacy support in "BIOS."

Kubuntu: For UEFI booting mode, download the 64-bit version, not the 32-bit version.

Kubuntu: To boot your live Kubuntu DVD/USB installer, boot the DVD/USB in UEFI mode as follows:

With the DVD/USB installer inserted in the computer, reboot the PC, enter the computer's UEFI setup by pressing the correct key for your computer (F2, F1, F12, etc.).
              Find the boot menu or boot override menu where the bootable devices will be listed.
              Choose the one that corresponds to the Kubuntu UEFI DVD or USB choice.
              Look for UEFI /(FAT) or some reference to UEFI.
              Example: My Live Kubuntu DVD installer showed up twice in UEFI BIOS (under Boot Override) as a "normal" DVD writer, and also as:
              UEFI (FAT) TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB (1028 MB) (= my Samsung DVD player).
              Select the UEFI/EFI (FAT) option from the boot override menu.
              An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                Have you tried just deleting the username on that screen and then pressing Enter through both fields?
                I have absolutely no idea how to do that. On the screen, there appears to be no option to edit/change the username.

If there is command line method to remove the user 'Live user session' and change the user to what I specify, and then appears like that in the GUI again, then I would be more than happy to try it.

Comment

Hmmm ... I wanted to test this BUT ...
                  I downloaded the latest 15.10 (64-bit)
                  http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu/
                  then wrote it to a flash drive.
                  then booted the computer with it,
                  then clicked "Try Kubuntu"
                  but I was never greeted at any point with a log-in screen asking for u/n or pw.
                  I re-booted the computer again with the live USB, and I got the same result:
                  no opportunity to see any log-in screen to test it.
                  It took me straight to the live session Desktop: no log-in.

Comment

Could you please let me know your laptop model and BIOS settings. Maybe it is not a kubuntu issue but a hardware issue in how the live USB interacts with the BIOS settings.

Comment

It's a Desktop computer:
                      Asus H97-PLUS (built Feb 2015).
                      The "BIOS" is actually the UEFI firmware setup, and it is set for UEFI, Fast Boot is OFF, Secure Boot is OFF, CSM is OFF, all Legacy is OFF.

(To be clear: My live USB flash drive DID work OK, but it did not require any u/n or pw to run the live Kubuntu session.)

Comment

If you do use UEFI, see my post #7 above. Even if you have a valid UEFI live DVD/USB, you must still boot it using UEFI mode by entering UEFI firmware setup ("BIOS") and choosing to boot that UEFI DVD/USB -- NOT the "regular" DVD/USB. My USB flash drive was listed twice in my "BIOS" setup: once as a regular USB and once as a UEFI (FAT) USB Kingston 16 GB etc etc.

Comment

Btw, to make the (live, installer) USB flash drive, I use this:

Building a Kubuntu live USB flash drive installer using dd

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post378712

Comment

Ok. Now I know for sure the problem isn't the USB, nor the way the live USB is created.

I created the live USB using your dd method and it still had the same problem in my SAMSUNG RF-511 laptop.

But I took the same USB drive and plugged it into my HP ENVY M6 laptop with windows 10 in it and voila it worked! No password!

So I strongly suspect that the problem lies in my laptop BIOS or it might be the OS on my laptop, which currently is Lubuntu 15.10.

How do I get around it now?

Because I want my samsung laptop to be the one on which kubuntu is installed finally.

Comment

So I strongly suspect that the problem lies in my laptop BIOS or it might be the OS on my laptop, which currently is Lubuntu 15.10.

How do I get around it now?
                              Boy, I don't know. Some one here should know how to log in at a command line.

And you are certain that your Samsung laptop boots in UEFI mode; and you made all those settings we talked about above; and you booted the live DVD/USB in UEFI mode (by entering "BIOS" and selecting the UEFI option associated with the DVD/USB)?

Comment

Working...
                              X