This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screen resolution messed up

My screen resolution got a lot smaller all of a sudden and trying system settings doesn’t fix it I tried rebooting and that doesn’t fix it. It should be 1080 x 1650 but it went to 1440 x 960. What happened and how do I fix it. I noticed it after watching 'Flash' on Netflix. Before Netflix everything was normal. I checked the driver and its still set to the recommended NVIDIA driver. My card should be fine as I upgraded to a GEFORCE GT 730 less than a week ago. I used Driver manager then to make sure the recommended binary driver was selected.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Try System Settings, Display and Monitor and in the Display Configuration click on the representation of your monitor, then move the slider to your desired resolution and click Apply. If the correct resolution is not available there, you will have to find the user interface for the NVidia driver and change the resolution there. I'm not sure what the proprietary NVidia driver installs for controlling things (hint: search for nvidia in the K start menu or F2).
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

I already tried that. The control seems broken. Rebooting doesn’t fix it. I have no idea what broke it in the first place. I even tried switching the driver to the Xorg driver then back to the NVIDIA driver but it is still broken. Perhaps some KDE package broke. As I said it was displaying the correct resolution but suddenly switched and even though the configuration tool is used to reset it the tool is displays the correct information but when I click apply the selection bar goes back down. As I said rebooting isn’t fix it.I hope I don't have to reinstall Kubuntu 15.04 64 bit.
      Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

I tried NVIDIA x sever utility but I couldn't save to xorg because I forgot where the file is located. When I changed the resolution the desktop got messed up. I had to [CTRL]+[ALT]=[DEL] and click the re-log button but that just reverted to the same resolution problem.

Comment

Sorry, I missed that you had already tried the System Settings fix.

Do you only have one monitor? I've had a similar problem in the past when I had two monitors connected and the smaller one had a resolution of 1440 x 900 and somehow the larger monitor (1680 x 1050) refused to go to its default resolution and was stuck at 1440 x 900 too. It was something in the settings that made the smaller monitor the primary display and maybe monitor mirroring, as I recall.

I'm not up with all the complexities of video cards and their drivers so much (I'm not much of a gamer) ... maybe someone with more experience in these things might be able to help?
          Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
          Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

I'm a "Flash" fan myself ... maybe Barry Allen did something to your video card/monitor?

Comment

Create a new user and reboot/log in using the new user. IS the screen resolution correct/correctible with the new user?
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

@ Rod J only one monitor

@Snowhog I created a new user but When I tried to log out, I did not get the ablity to select a user. I checked on my first account and automatic log in is not selected.

Comment

The display problem was fixed by upgrading to Wily. Unfortunately the upraded was a bit painful as I am sure you noticed. O well it's the first day of the official release. I got it upgraded but 15.10 got an error . I sent in the error report so 15.10 can be improved.

Comment

Working...
                  X