This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flgrx getting crazy

Since I updated to the latest kernal, Linux 3.19.0-30-generic on x86_64, AMD radeon driver for the R9 series cards has been going crazy. I'm using the flgrx driver installed with muon from the repository.

The screen becomes pixelated, i.e., random pixels turn black or another contrasting color, the screen is jittery and then the computer freezes solid.

Or the screen gets weird slashes across it, usually vertical, and then the computer freezes.

Or the screen just turns all light gray with the computer frozen.

The only way to restore is to reboot.

I have booted into Windows 10 and do not experience the problem So I would venture that the problem is likely s/w and not h/w.

Anybody else experiencing anything like this

Hmmm - now I cannot boot Kubuntu. I get dumped into the emergency mode and can do nothing else.

I'm beginning to suspect the SSD used for the primary disk. I have the EFI boot partition, the root partition and the 'Home' partition there. I have all of the data directories on separate HDDs with linked directories from the Home directory on the 'Home' Partition.

I think some parts of the SSD in the root partition may have gone bad. The EFI partition is okay so I can still boot into windows which is self contained on a separate HDD.

Does anybody have much experience with SSDs? Do they reliability problems?

Is there a program I can run under Kubuntu (from the installation DVD) that I can use to check for bad spots on the SSD?

I think I'm going to have to re-install and see what happens. I would like to be able to do a check/scan of the SSD for bad spots before I re-install though. If there are bad spots I will have to re-evaluate my use of the SSD.

Comment

Ran rea/write check of ssd with badblocks - none found. Used gsmartcontrol to also check ssd - no problems found.

re-install is only option left. hopefully that will eradicate problem.

Comment

Working...
      X