This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

X11vnc service is running but client can´t find server

I want to set up a headless server and connect to it from a laptop (Windows). It is running Kubuntu 15.04 and I installed X11vnc by this description:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VN...28Vivid.2B-.29

After a reboot the service is enabled and active (I think?), but I can not connect from the laptop using UltraVNC.

Only when I run

Code:
    x11vnc -auth guess -forever -loop -noxdamage -repeat -rfbauth /home/USERNAME/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 5900 -shared

in a terminal on the server via ssh I can connect to the server with UltraVNC.

I don´t want to issue this command everytime I want to the server. I want to be able to connect to server after a reboot without doing anything at the server.

Any ideas what goes wrong?

You can set it to auto start that service.
    System settings, startup and shutdown, there is autostart for applications or scripts.
    Or service manager may contain an entry for it depending on the install (I think).
    Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Originally posted by otisklt View Post
      You can set it to auto start that service.
      System settings, startup and shutdown, there is autostart for applications or scripts.
      Or service manager may contain an entry for it depending on the install (I think).
      In the system setting, startup and shutdown, there are entries for services, but I can´t change anything there. Is there anywhere, where I can modify this? In this section the x11vnc service does not appear.

Comment

Create the .sh script then use the Autostart section of the Startup and Shutdown settings to pick that .sh script to run at startup.

From the linked page:
        Have x11vnc automatically start in Kubuntu

One may create a startup script via (in Konsole):
        nano ~/.kde/Autostart/x11vncstart.sh

x11vnc -auth guess -forever -loop -noxdamage -repeat -rfbauth /home/USERNAME/.vnc/passwd -rfbport 5900 -shared

chmod +x ~/.kde/Autostart/x11vncstart.sh
        Last edited by otisklt; Oct 20, 2015, 09:39 PM. Reason: clarity
        Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Originally posted by otisklt View Post
          Create the .sh script then use the Autostart section of the Startup and Shutdown settings to pick that .sh script to run at startup.

From the linked page:
          Have x11vnc automatically start in Kubuntu

One may create a startup script via (in Konsole):
          nano ~/.kde/Autostart/x11vncstart.sh

chmod +x ~/.kde/Autostart/x11vncstart.sh
          Yes, I thought about it as well, but I don´t have an Autostart directory. Of course I could create one, but I don´t know, if it is auotmatically read by the kde?

Comment

Having a folder named autostart, no I dont think so, but then using the system settings "autostart" tool to point at that script in that location and it will for that script anyway.

If you want to get a little more advanced take a look into x2go I find it much better and more secure (it uses SSH) than vnc.
            Last edited by otisklt; Oct 25, 2015, 01:39 PM.
            Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Working...
            X