This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SDDM configureation

So it looks like 15.04 uses KDE5 and SDDM. While it's supposed to be a stable release as far as I can tell it's pretty much a beta of KDE5.
    So it doesn't look like there is any way to change the godawful splash screens and login screen. Are there any additional packages that I can download to be able to do the things I should be able to do in a stable OS? Or do I need to install another DM that all the articles seem to recommend I don't revert back to?

splash screen - plymouth - there are a number of how tos on customising or editing this

login screen - sddm - you can change the background in system settings, but the image used must be in a directory accessible to all users like /usr/share/wallpapers, or a new folder in a similar location.

There are also a few sddm themes available to install

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      splash screen - plymouth - there are a number of how tos on customising or editing this
      The point is that something like this should not need to be customized. These are the stupid little things that will keep average users from seeing Linux as a viable option and just frustrate people like me who are too lazy to put in that kind of effort into something that just absolutely should not require it.
      It is awesome that Linux is as flexible and customizeable as it is but come on. Switching to the recommended graphics card causes your computer to go into Atari graphics mode?

Originally posted by claydoh View Post

login screen - sddm - you can change the background in system settings, but the image used must be in a directory accessible to all users like /usr/share/wallpapers, or a new folder in a similar location.
      In previous versions you could just browse and install these from the repo. That's not available anymore? Or just not yet? Again this is not the kind of thing you expect from a stable release. Or at least give me more than one awful theme to choose from.

Thanks for the tip though I will try updating with something from wallpapers.
      What about the splash screen after the login screen? This used to be easily findable and editable in settings as well but I haven't found it yet.

Comment

KDE Forums - Is possible add other splash screen & change start icon?: https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=125293

Ubuntu package search - 'You have searched for packages that names contain sddm-theme': http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?ke...id&section=all
        Try Me !

Comment

Working...
        X