This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Positive News Related to Kubuntu

Recently I have been hoping that positive reports would be appearing in support of KDE/Kubuntu. Last week I noticed a report that pointed out very few changes for Ununtu 15.10. In this article Kubunut 15.10 was cited as having "visual features abound".

Today there was another report related to new features in KDE Plasma 5.5. This will be available at the end of this year.

So lets hope Kubuntu gets more positive press and helps keep Unity down the list in popularity of desktops.
    Last edited by NoWorries; Oct 13, 2015, 02:32 PM. Reason: Sorry for getting the year wrong

But I think you mean 15.10 in both places:
    Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
    a report that pointed out very few changes for Ununtu 14.10. In this article Kubunut 14.10 was cited as having "visual features abound".
    I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Thanks, yes you are right, and I have corrected the year. Luks lyk I hav 2 lyv nd lrn nd nt b in 2 much ov a hury nd chk bfor postg.

Comment

Curious, and for conversational reasons only - I have no dog in this hunt; Why do you feel hopeful that Unity be down the list of DEs? While I can see the benefit to having the KDE userbase expand, I don't understand what difference it makes where these users come from. I played with Unity a bit and it seems clear to me it's really intended (or at least better suited) for touch screens. While I'd never use it on my desktop PC, I might on a smaller form-factor tablet or phone. IMO, variety is one of the amazing things about Linux and I wouldn't want to start down the slippery slope of discouraging options (like the Gnome development team does - which ruined Gnome for many users).

Actually, the best source for new KDE users would be those coming from Windows or OS/X. Expanding the Linux userbase is more important than shifting from one DE to another - IMO of course.
        Last edited by oshunluvr; Oct 14, 2015, 06:07 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

My main reason for wanting Unity to be down the list is because SABDFL decided to not support Wayland but to go his own way and develop Mir. He did this in addition to developing his own Unity desktop.

I remember seeing several posts on this forum from those who had come from Unity to Kubuntu. I just hope they stayed and didn't get disenchanted with it. The reference that I gave in my original post to itworld.com was the results of a survey dated 6 Feb 2015. Unfortunately the number posts was small at 557. This showed that Unity was down the list, ie

I would certainly like to see a larger unbiased sample, but this often proves difficult. I sometimes wonder how significant the reports are on:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2014/10/u...survey-results

which has a sample size of 15,000 from Ubuntu users and deals with questions related to Ubuntu users. So these results are by no means an independent survey of Linux-wide desktop popularity.

I am just hoping that more publicity appears in support of Kubuntu, instead of the steady reference to Ubuntu in the sites that I visit.
          Last edited by NoWorries; Oct 15, 2015, 01:23 AM. Reason: Added reason for wanting Unity down the list

Comment

Perhaps the formation of a Kubuntu-promo team is in order? I currently promote Kubuntu in the following way: Relevant news stories are posted to Twitter[1], G+[2], and Facebook[3]. It's not much, but the least I can do as one person, and contributions are always welcome. If there were to be some type of Promo Group, I would be willing to help out. As far as promoting Kubuntu at the moment, I believe it's relegated to mainly one or two people posting to the Kubuntu Twitter Account and also to Kubuntu Wire.

[1] https://twitter.com/TheBlueMint
            [2] https://plus.google.com/communities/...51050955483577
            [3] https://www.facebook.com/TheBlueMint/
            ​"Keep it between the ditches"
            K*Digest Blog
            K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

PS - If found to be worthy of more discussion, a Mod can move this to a new topic, or we can start one ourselves in another thread.
              ​"Keep it between the ditches"
              K*Digest Blog
              K*Digest on Twitter

Comment

While it is commendable to promote Kubuntu on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ etc, the communities so created consist of like minded people. Such sites are not often picked up with a general Google search consisting of Kubuntu in the text. What I find is, that a search phrase using kubuntu, often includes ubuntu pages or at times ubuntu is substituted for kubuntu. If, instead, I search using ubuntu, no kubuntu pages are listed.

Perhaps this is a problem with Google, but it does illustrate that kubuntu is often playing second fiddle to ubuntu. This is also reflected in sites such as Linux Today which rarely have reference to kubuntu. This is probably because very little news is released on kubuntu. Is this a problem with Blue Systems or is it a reflection that there is nothing to report?

That is why I am so pleased to see some positive reports and I hope that more come in the near future.

Comment

When searching Google, if you don't want certain words to be searched on, just preface those words with a - sign:

Kubuntu -Ubuntu

The results will be for Kubuntu only.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                    My main reason for wanting Unity to be down the list is because SABDFL decided to not support Wayland but to go his own way and develop Mir. He did this in addition to developing his own Unity desktop.
                    As I understand it, this is all to do with his ideas for convergence which are actually pretty cool. Phones are getting very powerful these days, Octocore processors, gigabytes of memory and storage so why not take advantage of it? The idea is simple. You have a phone running Unity touch that you take with you on the move and at home or the office you plug into a docking station to get the full Unity desktop / software experience. The docking station has a keyboard, monitor, mouse etc.

I am not a particularly big fan of Unity on the desktop although I don't hate it like many seem to but it works so well on the phone I would still be using it if it had the right applications and if those it has were out of beta or even alpha in some cases. My Ubuntu phone didn't survive my need to express my rage with the first thing that came to hand. Because of the software (and frankly awful camera of the E4) I went with Android.
                    If you're sitting wondering,
                    Which Batman is the best,
                    There's only one true answer my friend,
                    It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Just my opinion

Gates stomped on any OS that was a competitor
                      The Apple boys LATER tried to stomp on any competitor.( FREE COMPUTERS TO TEACHERS AND ADMINISTRATORS;............duuuhh talk about buying votes).
                      Ummmmmmm Texas Instruments kind of whimpered and then went away....

Shuttleworh .........ummmmmmm ..............IS.............a corporation....

yes people throw about the words "Canonical" and "Ubuntu" and "Shuttleworth" and whatever.....

Shuttleworth is now filling exactly the same role as Gates.......... he is playing for "market share".

There are two ways to gain market share:

a) "build out"
                      b) "cut costs".

I myself, will argue that Shuttleworth TRIED...........AND HE TRIED VERY WELL........to ........"build out"....

guess what.....

ninety nine percent of the people on this forum will not spend even ONE DOLLAR, ONE EURO, ONE don't know............... nabisco cookie

I would say that ONE IN ONE HUNDRED REALLY IS A HACKER AND really would turn off his or her fuc#$%$^ computer if he had to pay for more than hardware or internet

the rest of the people...............WILL JUMP SHIP SO DAM% fast to another distro

so he or she, can spend money on beer or games or WHATEVER..................

NO MODERATOR WILL SAY THIS...........GUESS WHAT............

IVE BEEN A MODERATOR..............

well.........ill let all that go.............

so.................Shuttleworth has to.........perforce...........

"cut costs".....

How does he do that?

CUT OFF THE OFFENDING APPENDAGE.............

The OFFENDING APPENDAGE is ANY "distro" that is NOT PURE UBUNTU...............

Does that work........?

The woodsmoker, does not so think.........

, but the person like Shuttleworth has to do something that NOBODY ON THIS FORUM HAS TO DO..........

Shuttleworth had to pay salaries to the people in his employ.....

So the highly pregnant question for the readers of this forum really is....

GET OFF YOUR DEAD A## and send a SIGNIFICANT amount of money to "Kubuntu" or ............go to BSD..and QUITE WHINING.....

just sayin

going to get banned for this one.

woodsmoke
                      Last edited by woodsmoke; Nov 03, 2015, 10:39 PM.
                      sigpic
                      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

99.994 percent of KFN users don't uses as many dots combined as that remaining 0.006 percent

If you are looking to have all the hordes and masses of moderators and the passel of admins ban you, you are not trying very hard.
                        If we wanted you gone, you would have been gone ages ago.
                        Try harder. 99 percent of the members here ignore you, since you don't make any sense just about all of the time, so they wouldn't even notice you'd been ban-worthy.

Comment

Originally posted by elijathegold View Post
                          I am not a particularly big fan of Unity on the desktop although I don't hate it like many seem to....
                          I suspect the hatred was due to experience with the first release. It certainly drove me nuts (to put it mildly, I wouldn't have trusted myself with, say, a hammer); the lack of discoverability of basic functionality was chronic, when it was there. Due to the half-baked and buggy nature of Kubuntu Vivid I installed Ubuntu Vivid on my daughter's laptop (she needed a recent one) and it was much improved, though still seemed suited to small screens.
                          Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
                            I suspect the hatred was due to experience with the first release. It certainly drove me nuts (to put it mildly, I wouldn't have trusted myself with, say, a hammer); the lack of discoverability of basic functionality was chronic, when it was there. Due to the half-baked and buggy nature of Kubuntu Vivid I installed Ubuntu Vivid on my daughter's laptop (she needed a recent one) and it was much improved, though still seemed suited to small screens.
                            I agree with elijathegold. It was clear to me at the beginning that Unity was aimed at the tablet/phone platform. I didn't like it on the desktop either, but I also hate Gnome just as much. I was one of those that pre-bought the Ubuntu Edge at somewhere around $640 partially because it was a Linux PC in my hand. Obviously, that effort failed, but Canonical is putting out phones with their OS on them - just not in the US. He's in business to make money and this is where he's driving his company. Hard to fault him for that. On the other hand, the whole Mir vs. Wayland thing is a huge deficit to the Linux world and has damaged progress in the name of separatism. If Canonical had put their developers behind Wayland instead of some farcical campaign that their idea was better we'd be free of X already. For that, I can give no quarter. He deserves to lose.

99.994 percent of KFN users don't uses as many dots combined as that remaining 0.006 percent
                            LOL
                            As far as Woody is concerned, it's not so much that I ignore him, as it is I can't read most of his posts; way too many carriage returns and all those dots, mixed in with dis-jointed commentary and an occasional rant about the left-wing conspiracy he sees everywhere. I doubt he'll ever get banned because he's too indecipherable I will say that Woodsmoke is way high up on the list of KFN members I'd like to have a beer (or boat drink) with!

Please Read Me

Comment

Oshunluvr, you read my mind!
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                              X