This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proper dual monitor set up somewhere?

Was running 14.04 just fine with two monitors. Upgraded to 15.04 and now I have one working monitor and one black screen with the X icon showing when I move onto it.

So the second monitor is on and should be working properly (it is the one that displays boot info so I know it works just fine and is connected properly).

Used the nvidia-settings to set up proper layout and both x screens. Even saved to xorg.conf from nvidia-settings to see if that worked, but somehow I still can't get a proper desktop on the second monitor.

Gone through quite a few web help pages and nothing I have seen works yet.

I am wondering if there are any tricks to 15.04 that I have missed to get a dual monitor set-up running.

What does it show in System Settings -> Display and Monitors under the settings menu?
    If you're sitting wondering,
    Which Batman is the best,
    There's only one true answer my friend,
    It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Only shows vga-0 as listed, not sure why since I save the nvidia settings to a xorg.conf, xorg log shows that it is both monitors active. Getting the black screen with the icon X in the second one and with xinerama they both worked as one screen.

Comment

Print out from xrandr please.

Please Read Me

Comment

Also, review your /var/log/Xorg.0.log and ~/.xsession-errors for clues

Please Read Me

Comment

-xrandr

Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 1280 x 1024, maximum 16384 x 16384
            VGA-0 connected primary 1280x1024+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 376mm x 301mm
            1280x1024 60.0*+ 75.0
            1152x864 75.0
            1024x768 75.0 60.0
            800x600 75.0 60.3
            640x480 75.0 59.9
            DVI-I-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
            HDMI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

-

Which makes even less sense due to the monitor being active but with no desktop. DVI-I-1 is active I get a black icon on it, it works with xinerama to extend the desktop too that monitor. I just can't seem to get dual xscreens working with anything I try.

Comment

Clearly, your DVI screen has not been correctly detected. Just be be sure - disconnect and re-connect your monitor cable on both ends, because it sounds like a cable issue.

If no joy: which driver are you using? And list your hardware - some nvidia cards, notiably the GTX 760, can have issues with the newer kernels/drivers.

If you're unsure which driver
              cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log |grep Driver

will list it.

Please Read Me

Comment

If it was a cable issue how would the monitor work for the POST and boot up text processes, until it switches the monitor to the primary login screen?

nvidia-settings detects both monitors and allows me set the layout. Just seems like 15.04 simply refuses to allow 2 xscreens for some reason in this situtation.

I am wondering if I need to go into config and erase some old data from the pre-version upgrade to get this working or if 15.04 simply will not work with 2 independant monitors.

Card is a 430 gt, but it hasn't had any problems with any of the newer drivers yet.

[ 22.437] (II) NVIDIA dlloader X Driver 346.96 Sun Aug 23 21:31:48 PDT 2015

Comment

So the monitor works as one desktop across both but not with two x sessions?
                  It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

When I originally upgraded it came up as both monitors being one screen, but with the all the plastic and seperation of the monitors I wanted to get back to my 14.10 set up that was essentially 2 seperate xscreens (xscreen-0 and xscreen-1 in nvidia-settings) each with its own task manager bar and virtual desktops.

Comment

Probably a silly question, but does it still work as one desktop? (wondering if cable could have been knocked loose)
                      It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

http://askubuntu.com/questions/61544...ter-sddm-login

Please Read Me

Comment

Nice find.
                          It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Found a couple others with that card and Plasma configuration but no real solutions.

Another test is the create a new user and log in as that user. This eliminates the possibility of a bad or corrupted plasma config file.

Please Read Me

Comment

Must be something with KDE, a new profile didn't seem to work either. Guess I need to find out if that will be fixed in 15.10 or if I need to look elsewhere.

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
                              X