Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

black screen with cursor when booting in to kubuntu 15.04 [upstart not found in grub]

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

black screen with cursor when booting in to kubuntu 15.04 [upstart not found in grub]

Hello there,

I've just downloaded Kubuntu 15.04 & installed it on my Dell Inspiron 3520 yesterday, and already facing two common issues [ a) broadcom wifi driver, b) black screen with cursor/upstart issue ]

I'll address the broadcom wifi driver issue in separate thread, now I need help for the black screen after login.

I'm going to write a long descriptive thread so that all the steps are documented for future reference. So please bear with me.

I've installed Kubuntu 15.04 by making a live usb stick from kubuntu-15.04-desktop-amd64.iso with below setup

Partition Mount as File format Size
    /dev/sda1 / ext4 28.61 GB
    /dev/sda2 linuxswap swap 3.88 GB
    /dev/sda3 /home ext4 433.26 GB
    after that I had booted from hard disk it logged in the first time properly in the system (though I could not configure the broadcom wifi driver, more on it on different time). When I could not enable broadcom wifi driver I tried to restart my pc then the plasma 5 crashed. After reboot when I login with my user Id/password only a black screen appears with movable cursor, however despite waiting several minutes my desktop did not appear.

I googled the issue from my mobile and found several references where it has been advised to boot into kubuntu via upstart, such as this thread

However when I follow the steps described here and go to "Advanced options for Ubuntu" I only find two option available for me

a) *Ubuntu with Linux 3.19.0-15 generic
    b) Ubuntu with Linux 3.19.0-15 generic (recovery mode)

there is no option offered as *Ubuntu with Linux 3.19.0-15 generic (upstart) to load into

Please note that the grub version is shown as "Grub version 2.02Beta"

would much appreciate if someone can kindly guide me on how to edit/tweek the grub so that I can load Kubuntu using upstart and check whether I can login to Kubuntu desktop properly.

Thanks

(PS: If I've submitted in wrong thread or with wrong prefix moderators please guide me )

Originally posted by ashabadi View Post
    after that I had booted from hard disk it logged in the first time properly in the system (though I could not configure the broadcom wifi driver, more on it on different time). When I could not enable broadcom wifi driver I tried to restart my pc then the plasma 5 crashed. After reboot when I login with my user Id/password only a black screen appears with movable cursor, however despite waiting several minutes my desktop did not appear.
    just from this bit of info ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I would suggest telling us what exactly you did to try and configure you broadcom driver ?

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Hi Vinny,
      Sorry could not respond earlier, my id was blocked in the forum for suspicious malicious activity (!!) and had to email to moderators/admins to unblock.

I had tried to enable wifi driver by going to "System settings>Driver Manager" then selecting check box "Using Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless Driver source from bcmwl-kernel-source" (Broadcom corporation BCM43142 802.11b/g/n (wireless 1704 802.11n + BT 4.0). then press apply (the progress bar goes to 50% then refreshes the driver list and the checkbox get unchecked by itself, and my wireless does not work.

This very steps enables wireless connection in live disk (I'm actually posting in this forum from live disk session).

Comment

helloo....
        I know I don't want to sound impatient or childish... but it has been almost a month (Kubuntu 15.10 has also released) and I'm yet to receive any solution for my above issue... still today I'm using live cd without being able to login to my desktop installation or being able to enable wireless network at harddisk installation...

make me sad

Comment

Can you connect your laptop to a wired Internet connection? This would most likely allow the installation of the wireless driver to complete.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for your revert.

Sadly no, I do not have access to wired connection at the moment.

I've checked solutions discussed in the below link
            http://askubuntu.com/questions/55868...reless-drivers

But all of them require network access one way or the other...

Comment

Working...
            X