Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Postfix satellite configuration? Can I send email from my server to my desktop?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Postfix satellite configuration? Can I send email from my server to my desktop?

I know this can be done, but I'm a noob with postfix and all the tutorials I've seen are complicated and not directed at what seems like should be an easy task.

I want my server to be able to send notifications via email to my desktop on the local network. Can someone point me at a simple tutorial or guide? If necessary, I guess a relay through gmail would work, but I'd really prefer it to come directly to my desktop and be readable in Kmail.

Please Read Me

Does your server already have anything like that installed?

I would think the easiest thing is to use the server as a server and keep your desktop as a client, rather than setting up the server to send messages to the desktop, which would reverse the roles. If your desktop was turned off, postfix on the server (in "client mode") would try to send email and fail, and then try again at increasing intervals until eventually bouncing the message - seems like a painful way to set things up.

If you set up Postfix and Dovecot on the server, you can have notification emails delivered to the local account on the server and then retrieve it with IMAP whenever your desktop is on. Works well for me (but then I use the server as a full mail server anyway).

Have a look at parts 1 and 2 of my email server tutorial (Postfix and Dovecot), you need Dovecot for SASL authenticaton anyway so I wouldn't consder it to be "bloat" for your needs:

https://samhobbs.co.uk/raspberry-pi-email-server
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Working...
    X