Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Live CD? Text installer? Totally lost with the new install DVD...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live CD? Text installer? Totally lost with the new install DVD...

I've been running Kubuntu for a few years now and had become accustomed to the text installer and used it very successfully to create a dual boot machine with RAID 0+1.

Since then, they've gotten rid of the text installer (best I can figure) and the live CD as well (I'm at a loss on this one). I'm really very puzzled as to why I can't burn a DVD of Kubuntu 14.04 LTS and actually boot from it. I've had this trouble on multiple hardware configurations with multiple different CDs.

Can someone explain to me how I can get Kubuntu installed on a computer without networking capabilities? The discs I have now point to an online launcher that won't actually do anything than make another partition on my hard drive that doesn't work anyway. The hardware simply shuts down when Kubuntu attempts to load.

We sure do have the live iso.
    The standard iso image *is* a live image, it is just no longer cd-sized. Usually you "burn" it to a usb stick and boot from that, or burn to a DVD. A network connection is not required, the installer does ask if you want to download updates as you go, but you can uncheck/skip that. (I usually do so myself)

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BurningIsoHowto
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick
    I have not used an optical disk to perform an install in many years now, probably 2010, even though I have old hardware.

There has not been a text mode installer for a full desktop for quite some time now (12.04 was the last one). The Ubuntu server installer is text mode, as it has no gui anyway, and there is a minimal net install as well, which is also text mode.

Now as for installing on a raid setup, never done that either, though there seems to be a number of how-tos on doing this from the live installer, and I am sure someone in here has done so, but I will bet that they have done an Ubuntu server install as a base, as this has options specifically for raid setup, and adding a desktop environment on top.

Now it is not Kubuntu, but Lubuntu still provide a text mode installer image, as they are geared for old systems.
    Last edited by claydoh; Sep 12, 2015, 08:23 PM.

Comment

The images I've used won't boot on my Dell M65, neither do they allow a live launch from inside of Windows, which I think is where I'm most confused about the images. I got the image to work on a whitebox build and I've installed to other Dell computers. The only thing I can think is that Dell did something to the BIOS... I'll try to get some photos to post.

This is the screen I get inside Windows. I don't want to autorepartition and install *buntu. I tried this and it downloads the entire .iso all over again.
      Attached Files

Comment

You need to download the live image .iso to your PC. Then you need to 'burn' that downloaded .iso to a USB stick and then boot your PC from that USB stick.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yes, that part I understand completely and have done innumerable times over the almost ten years I've been using Kubuntu.

What I don't understand is why the images that boot in other computers won't boot on my M65 and why the autorun of the bootable images launch as the above picture shows under Windows.

Comment

Have you checked your BIOS boot order to ensure that the USB is identified as the first boot device?
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It is. I've gotten it to the Kubuntu splash screen, but everything crashes from there: hard power off.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnius View Post
                The images I've used won't boot on my Dell M65, neither do they allow a live launch from inside of Windows, which I think is where I'm most confused about the images. I got the image to work on a whitebox build and I've installed to other Dell computers. The only thing I can think is that Dell did something to the BIOS... I'll try to get some photos to post.

This is the screen I get inside Windows. I don't want to autorepartition and install *buntu. I tried this and it downloads the entire .iso all over again.
                That I believe is the [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wubi_(software)]wubi[/url], that installs Ubuntu inside a file on a Windows file system. NOT a normal installation method, though it has been on the install image for many many years.

Which iso image are you getting, and from where? Booting from a dvd or usb stick? System specs? Specifically ram - if your system is ancient, and only has 1 gb ram or less, booting a modern OS may be frustrating at best. It may take some research in to your hardware to see what others with the same system as you have come across, it may be just a tweak here or there.

Comment

14.04 LTS 64-bit from the Kubuntu mirror, 14.04 LTS from the .torrent, 15.04 from the Kubuntu mirror. All on DVD, all fail at the splash screen. Intel Core2Duo, 4gb RAM.

I've looked for others and nobody has a current distro install posted anywhere. The most recent successful install I could find was 12.04, and they have no notes on the actual install, just what driver packages they used.

Comment

Are you booting your computer is the older BIOS mode or the newer UEFI mode? (Almost all newer computer > 2011 boot in UEFI mode unless configured otherwise.)

If it is the latter, UEFI mode, then when you boot you live Kubuntu DVD, make sure you are booting it in UEFI mode (which requires the 64-bit version, btw), and to do that you must enter your firmware setup menu of your computer ("BIOS" or UEFI setup) by pressing some magic key upon seeing POST.

Example, on mine recently:
                    I used a Live DVD Kubuntu installer.
                    Install the DVD in the optical drive, reboot the PC, enter UEFI(-BIOS) by pressing F2.
                    Under Advanced, find the ASUS boot menu, and the "boot override" menu under that.
                    The bootable devices will be listed.
                    Choose the one that corresponds to the Kubuntu UEFI choice.
                    Look for UEFI / FAT) or some reference to UEFI.
                    My Live Kubuntu DVD installer showed up twice in UEFI BIOS (under Boot Override) as a "normal" DVD writer, and also as:
                    UEFI (FAT) TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224DB (1028 MB) (= my Samsung DVD player).
                    You choose the UEFI choice, select it, press Enter, and it will boot up.
                    Last edited by Qqmike; Sep 14, 2015, 08:02 AM.
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

14.04 LTS 64-bit from the Kubuntu mirror, 14.04 LTS from the .torrent, 15.04 from the Kubuntu mirror. All on DVD, all fail at the splash screen. Intel Core2Duo, 4gb RAM.

I've looked for others and nobody has a current distro install posted anywhere. The most recent successful install I could find was 12.04, and they have no notes on the actual install, just what driver packages they used.
                      Was hoping for something a bit more specific but can we assume the file is called kubuntu-14.04-desktop-amd64.iso and downloaded from kububtu.org, using a direct link or one of the other listed mirrors ? (I know it sounds picky, but trying to start with the basics here, such as a file from an unstable mirror )

Have you tried making a usb stick? Have you tried burning a DVD at a slow speed? Or tried a different burner or brand of disks

All my systems are core 2 duo machines, two Dell latitudes from 2007 and 2010 ish, as well as a 6 year old hp desktop. All run swimmingly, and have had zero install issues (using usb)

Again, it may seem nitpicky, but having as much info as possible may allow the folks here to better help you

Sent from my LG G4

Comment

Sounds bad. On the off chance, have you tried "nomodeset"? My old desktop won't boot an installer without it. Press F6 on the first screen.

Regards, John Little
                        Regards, John Little

Comment

Was hoping for something a bit more specific but can we assume the file is called kubuntu-14.04-desktop-amd64.iso and downloaded from kububtu.org, using a direct link or one of the other listed mirrors ? (I know it sounds picky, but trying to start with the basics here, such as a file from an unstable mirror )
                          I didn't keep any of the images when I made the discs. But they all function in /other/ computers.

Ran "nomodeset" with the same results. My guess is Dell somehow locked this thing out at the BIOS level and I can't figure out how to change it. Which is really upsetting because Windows XP is horrible. I took an XP disc and did a fresh install and all that did was disable...oh, everything, because XP doesn't have drivers for anything...

I made a USB of lubuntu (wrong forum, I know), and that will boot into the beginning menu, but no further. It won't boot into live mode or persistent mode. It gets farther than the discs, but still crashes.
                          Last edited by Snowhog; Sep 20, 2015, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Lubuntu ia a nice distro, it's ok to discuss other ones here, we aren't like that at kfn

You may want to try enabling some of the other boot options to see if they make a difference.

One thing that may help us figure out what it is specifically that is blocking things would be to enable nomodeset, and in the boot options text line you should see near the bottom of the screen , delete both "quiet" and "splash". This will give a full text boot up, and we may be able to see the error where it hangs

Sent from my LG G4
                            Last edited by claydoh; Sep 21, 2015, 11:44 AM.

Comment

I pulled the hard drive and installed 15.04 on it and ran it perfectly on different hardware. Put the drive back in the laptop and magically didn't work anymore...

Comment

Working...
                              X