This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 15.04 Great Experience!

It's my first time back to the Ubuntu "family" for somewhere around seven or eight years and so far I'm enjoying Kubuntu 15.04 very much.

For at least the last five years my daily desktop has been Crunchbang, which has now been discontinued, and in retrospect maybe that's a good thing.

I really, really likes the look and feel of Crunchbang. I like dark, flat and simple. I liked Openbox. And I liked accessing the menu through a right-click anywhere on the desktop.

However, after completing bolloxing my system during some manual library installs, I decided I had to go for a fresh OS install and perhaps try something new.

I like the new look of Plasma and decided on Kubuntu. I never could stand the old KDE shiny, bubbly look. The installation went pretty smoothly, and in general the whole experience has been very nice. Sometimes if I max out my RAM things go haywire and won't come back without a reboot, even if the offending programs are closed.

My laptop, about a 4 year old i3, is now also running super cool and quiet. With Crunchbang, everything was screaming and hot if I had more than a few applications open. I thought this was just the way it was with my laptop. What a difference Kubuntu has made! Clearly there have been some recent advances with CPU management.

Things are still a little too colourful for my tastes, and Breeze Dark isn't quite there yet, but I think I will stick with Kubuntu for a while. A few tweaks here and there, and the desktop is pretty easy to use.

Thank you Kubuntu community.
Working...
X