This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple monitor weirdness...

Not really need help with a big issue, just wondering if anyone sees what I'm seeing...

...booting my old desktop (8 year old Q6600) with 3 monitors hooked to a GTX 780. The limits of the card require that I use 1-DVI-D, 1-HDMI, and 1-DP (display port).

I have 2 oldish and cheap Samsung 24s that only have DVI and VGA, so DVI goes to one of them (on the left) and HDMI-TO-DVI goes to the other (on the right) and the DP goes to a newer-ish Dell 24" in the middle. This works like a champ (usually - see below ) but the whole setup acts weird.

When I boot, the left screen displays the BIOS screen and subsequent GRUB menus, and the plasma splash. Once booted, the sddm log-in is on the right monitor. And - to top it off, I have the center monitor set as the primary display so the log-in splash and KDE panel appear in front of me after I log in. I have no idea why this round-robin occurs. It's only mildly annoying so I'm not wasting brain cells on it much, but if it was adjustable, I'd fix it. It seems apparent that the BIOS sees the DVI as the first choice, sddm sees the HDMI as the first choice, but I see the DP as the first choice. While I suspect this old machine and it's BIOS are not "fixable" I don't know if sddm can be manipulated to change which screen it picks. Anyone else seeing something like this?

Oh - and just for fun - today for some unknown reason, right in the middle of reading this very forum, my video card decides it can no longer display from the DP at all. All of a sudden, the middle monitor goes black and reports it no longer has a connection. Xrandr reports it's connected, but no modes are available (same in system settings). System settings reports the video card can't display this much resolution and no settings are available for the DP monitor. Of course - this wreaks havoc on my desktop.

I ended up powering everything down and back up - no change. I disconnect the two other monitors, leaving only the DP connected - no go. I pull the Dell monitor and it's cables, take it to another room - works fine on another computer so it's the video card. I was half way through filling out the warranty return for an RMA number from EVGA when I decided to give it one more chance. I powered up again with only the DP connected and BAM - works. Re-connected the other two and booted up again - all work as before (after I re-set the monitor settings). All the same components connected the same way and it's working perfectly. Darn Gremlins...

Please Read Me

Dodgy cable maybe why the screen shut off?

Things shifting between displays could be due to priority assigned to the ports by the BIOS although I can't say I've encountered anything like it.
    If you're sitting wondering,
    Which Batman is the best,
    There's only one true answer my friend,
    It's Adam Bloody West!

Comment

Yeah, thought about that. It's a decent enough cable (not a cheap-o). Odd thing was how it just happened while I was working (typing). Not like I was shuffling anything around or moving the desk or anything. Anyway - still working now, knock wood.

My primary suspect is the cable connection to the video card. I had shoved things around a couple weeks ago and could have put some pressure on it in the wrong direction.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
      X