Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 15.04 "sddm-greeter' crashes on start up.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem is that my ancient laptop does not start from USB and it does not recognize DVD drive, only CD.
    That is part of my problem.

Here are the most frequent errors and the last entries right before it successfully logged me in (without networkmanager).

[23:06:31.480] (WW) GREETER: QObject: Cannot create children for a parent that is in a different thread.
    (Parent is SDDM::GreeterApp(0xbfca996c), parent's thread is QThread(0x9603ba8), current thread is QThread(0x962f498)

[23:06:34.781] (WW) GREETER: Calling KPluginInfo:roperty("X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name") is deprecated, use KPluginInfo:luginName() in "/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/plasma/dataengine/plasma_engine_filebrowser.so" instead.

After /etc/init.d/sddm start:Here is the latest about the ongoing drama.
    I had to upgrade from 12.10 to 15.04 because I could not get a USB boot working (with PLOP).

Logged into 15.04 without problems. Stayed on it for hours. Wifi went out. Restarted: Same old problem. Sddm crashed.

Tried: systemctl start sddm.
    Resulted in this:

Adding cookie to /var/run/sddm/: 1
    /usr/bin/xauth: timeout locking (?) var/run/sddm1
    DAEMON messages:
    display server startin
    running /usr/bin/X :1 -auth/var/run/sddm/:1 - nolisten tcp-background none- noset vt?
    display server stopped
    running "/usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xstop"

End error messages. Hangs on terminal screen.

I also checked the log as suggested. Lots of messages with three recurring. Unfortunately I cannot give them here because the text is stored in 15.04. Not accessible.

There is nothing wrong with PLasma or anything else. I worked long enough in 15.04 without any issues before the wifi went out.

Will now try the other solution that worked for me once: ctrl + alt+F1:
    sudo /etc/init.d/sddm start

It worked but did not give me NetworkManager.

[23:08:04.700] (II) HELPER: [PAM] Starting...
    [23:08:04.701] (II) HELPER: [PAM] Authenticating...
    [23:08:04.701] (II) HELPER: [PAM] Preparing to converse...
    [23:08:04.701] (II) HELPER: [PAM] Conversation with 1 messages
    [23:08:06.798] (II) HELPER: [PAM] returning.
    [23:08:06.799] (II) DAEMON: Authenticated successfully
    [23:08:06.799] (II) GREETER: Message received from daemon: LoginSucceeded
    [23:08:07.177] (II) HELPER: Starting: "/usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsession" "/usr/bin/startkde"
    [23:08:07.193] (II) HELPER: [PAM] Ended.
    [23:08:07.194] (II) DAEMON: Auth: sddm-helper exited successfully
    [23:08:07.194] (II) DAEMON: Greeter stopped.
    [23:08:07.228] (II) HELPER: Adding cookie to "/home/pete1/.Xauthority"
    [23:08:07.323] (II) DAEMON: Session started

I finally retrieved some of the most often repeated errors in the log:

[23:06:31.480] (WW) GREETER: QObject: Cannot create children for a parent that is in a different thread.
    (Parent is SDDM::GreeterApp(0xbfca996c), parent's thread is QThread(0x9603ba8), current thread is QThread(0x962f498)

"[23:06:34.781] (WW) GREETER: Calling KPluginInfo:roperty("X-KDE-PluginInfo-Name") is deprecated, use KPluginInfo:luginName() in "/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/qt5/plugins/plasma/dataengine/plasma_engine_filebrowser.so" instead."

Don't know what that means at all.

If I could figure out how to start my laptop from USB flash drive, I could make a clean installation of 15.04.
    Last edited by PJJ; Aug 31, 2015, 05:52 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

Update:
      None of the solutions suggested on the Net work permanently. Some work once or twice, others do nothing at all.
      Tried/used:
      Purge sddm, reinstall;
      purge/reinstall lightdm;

using recovery mode, package repair/install;
      commandline dpkg;
      update/upgrade;
      reboot normally - sometimes boots right into 15.04. Once or twice. Then error again.

sudo /etc/init.d/sddm start - worked once or twice, not permanent;

systemctl start sddm - worked once, not permanent;

The two main 'fixes':

sudo systemctl enable sddm.service -f

rebotot worked once, I believe. Nothing after that.

Install dailies instead of wasting time with fixes that do not work.
      Same error message.

Last ditch fix: Install Ubuntu 15.04 instead.
      I decided to combine two of the 'fixes' into one test:
      15.10 dailies and start live from Grub (Grub-N-Iso).
      Works like a charm and looks sinfully ugly.

My final test:
      Grub-N-Iso with Kubuntu 15.10 daily (09/04) - underway.

Comment

I am marking this thread as solves. It should be 'abandoned' because I really did a workaround only.

Final:
        None of the solutions from the web nor from this group worked. The 'sddm greeter' kept on crashing.
        I used Grub-N-Iso to boot the computer from the ISO.
        It worked and installed Kubuntu 15.04 (actually 15.10) directly from ISO in /grub/grml.

Great!
        Then: sddm-greeter crashed again.

Tired of this charade I downloaded Ubuntu 15.10 and installed it from Grub-N-Iso.
        Installed without any issues, works just fine. No 'greeter' crashes.

But: Ugly looks and sloooooooooooooooooooow moving.

Could I install the Kubuntu desktop on the Ubuntu 15.10 installation to get back to Kubuntu 15.10?
        Without having 'sddm-greeter' crash?
        Last edited by PJJ; Sep 08, 2015, 06:27 PM. Reason: new thought

Comment

Kubuntu Plasma is 'just' another DE that can be added.

During log in you can chose which DE to start up.

Comment

Are my eyes deceiving me, am I losing it or did the forum swallow my reply to this post?

I do not see it anywhere. Posted it days ago.

It said something like this:

During login I do not see a choice of DE.

Could you please give me a few pointers on where exactly it should be shown?
            I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

PS:
            If the 'sddm-greeter' is part of the Kubuntu Plasma environment, would my system not crash again as soon as I install It?
            That worries me.

Comment

Originally posted by PJJ View Post

During login I do not see a choice of DE.

Could you please give me a few pointers on where exactly it should be shown?
              I would appreciate it.

Thank you.
              IF ,,,you do not have any other DE's (desktop environment) installed , the Ubuntu default login screen (you did say you were running Ubuntu now ,,rite) will NOT show a place to click and chose one ,,,,,,,,,IF you do have another DE installed you will see the Ubuntu logo next to your user name (at the login screen) ,,,click it and you will see a list of your DE's to chose from .

PS:
              If the 'sddm-greeter' is part of the Kubuntu Plasma environment, would my system not crash again as soon as I install It?
              That worries me.
              only if you enable sddm when installing the Kubuntu-desktop package .........I think if you install it on the comand line and watch it wile it is doing the configure part of the install you will be given the option to use sddm or whatever the Ubuntu one is now (was GDM) or at least see what DM is being superseded ,,,,,,,,,that is IF sddm IS the cause of your problem

VINNY
              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
              16GB RAM
              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yes, I am running Ubuntu 15.10 now. No problems except I find it slow. But it could be the low RAM of my toshiba.

I am also almost positive that my issues with Kubuntu 15.04(10) are sddm related.
                Kubuntu 15.10 runs from a live disk/ Grub-N_iso. When I install it and then try to log in, it crashes with the sddm -greeter error message.

It does not happen with Ubuntu.

I am running Kubuntu 14.10 besides Ubuntua 15.10.
                Next time I log in I will pay attention to the login prompt and see whether it lists other DEs.

Thank for the suggestions.

Comment

Yes, I am running Ubuntu 15.10 now. No problems except I find it slow. But it could be the low RAM of my toshiba.
                  ? how low is low ?

I am also almost positive that my issues with Kubuntu 15.04(10) are sddm related.
                  Kubuntu 15.10 runs from a live disk/ Grub-N_iso. When I install it and then try to log in, it crashes with the sddm -greeter error message.
                  you could install lightdm (what ubuntu and 14.10[Ithink] use) and try that to see if it helps.

It does not happen with Ubuntu.

I am running Kubuntu 14.10 besides Ubuntua 15.10.
                  Next time I log in I will pay attention to the login prompt and see whether it lists other DEs.

Thank for the suggestions.
                  you are welcome ,,,,,,,,,it dose not happen with Ubuntu or 14.10 because they do not use sddm

VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                    ? how low is low ?

2 Gig

(supposedly the max for my old Toshiba Satellite A-45). I will taunt it with 4 Gig when I have time.

you could install lightdm (what ubuntu and 14.10[Ithink] use) and try that to see if it helps.

I did that.
                    It was already installed. Purged and reinstalled.
                    No change. Still crashes.

you are welcome ,,,,,,,,,it dose not happen with Ubuntu or 14.10 because they do not use sddm

That's why I am keeping 14.10 on the laptop for now. I am running 15.10 Ubuntu, 14.10 Kubuntu and the old decrepit
                    XP (as a standby of all the Linux' crash).
                    Have not yet been able to look at the login screen for DE alternatives.

VINNY

No I am getting a message from the Kubuntuforum claiming my message is two digits to short. Huh?

Comment

I am getting a message from the Kubuntuforum claiming my message is two digits to short.
                      Your message has to be at least 2 characters long. The characters in a quote do not count. In your Post #24, you included everything in one quote, including your responses to Vinny. Thus, that entire quote counts as zero characters toward the minimal of two required.
                      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Oooooops!

Comment

I did that.
                          It was already installed. Purged and reinstalled.
                          No change. Still crashes.
                          so you installed "lightdm" ,,,,,,,,,,,,BUT did you set it to be the display manager ,,,,, run
                          Code:
                          sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm
                          when it gets reconfigured it will see that sddm is present as well and ask whitch one to set to use,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,are you sure you were booting to lightdm and not sddm .

see if you were booting to lightdm and still getting the same behavior then sddm is probably not the cause of you problem.

VINNY
                          16GB RAM

Comment

It looks like my reply did not post.
                            Yes, I ran the dpkg-reconfigure lighdm code.

It fixed it. One time only. That was one of the methods that gave me temporary success.

Anyway, I do not have a second desktop installed.
                            Installed kubuntu-desktop.

It either did not download or someho messed up two packages. Dependencies. Hosed my entire system.

I used grub rescue boot to install the Kubuntu version of 15.10.

Error message (using live 'CD') after crash:
                            Executable: sddm-greeter. PID: 3606 Signal: Segmentation fault (11)
                            followed by date and time.

that is the exact error message that started this threat.
                            My conclusion: sddm greeter somehow does not agree with my system.

Installed Ubuntu 15.10. runs just fine.

It has to be one of the KDE specific files.

Comment

Hi.
                              I've had fun with the same issue for two weeks now, and have played around with all your suggestions (thanks btw).
                              What I found was the following:

When sddm crashes I get the crash-note window, as usual.
                              clicking it away leaves me with a blank, white desktop.
                              I switch to tty1, login, try: sddm start

This does consistently not work, since sddm tries to write a cookie in /var/run/sddm/ and can't, no rights to change filerights.
                              After a timeout it terminates the xserver.

Consequently I tried: sudo sddm start
                              result: instant full welcome screen, plasma running.

This consistently works on my system (thinkpad z710, dedicated nvidia chip)
                              Anyone else with that result?

Comment

Working...
                              X