Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I install Broadcom 43142 wireless driver offline?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I install Broadcom 43142 wireless driver offline?

Hello forum, this is my 1st post here, A coworker has a Lenovo Flex 2 D14 Laptop, but wireless support does not work on the Ubuntu'sfamily distros.. Is it possible to install Broadcom 43142 (Hybrid chipset - Wireless / Bluetooth) offline (without a wired connection)? I Mean Can I download drivers and dependencies from the internet, put them into a usb pendrive and the install them using console? If yes it would be great if someone could guide me step by step in order to make it work. Remember there is no ethernet connection neither wireless just plain offline installation.
    here are the latptop specs: http://shop.lenovo.com/eg/en/laptops...tab-tech_specs

Thank you in advance!
    Jose
    Last edited by Snowhog; Aug 26, 2015, 07:49 AM. Reason: URL fixed

Knowing nothing about that particular wifi chip or what it needs, yes, you can download packages and install them from a thumb drive.

Your link doesn't work (at least not here) and looking at the Lenovo website doesn't reveal model numbers of wifi cards anyway. Manufacturers tend to change those sort of components based on availability and price.

A quick search of the chipset reveals bcmwl-kernel-source is the likely candidate, so download the desired package from here and install it by clicking it in Dolphin (which will work if gdebi is installed) or from a console using dpkg:

sudo dpkg -i bcmwl-kernel-source.deb

You should note that this package has a couple of dependencies:

Code:
    stuart@office:~$ apt-cache depends bcmwl-kernel-source
    bcmwl-kernel-source
      Depends: dkms
      Depends: linux-libc-dev
      Depends: libc6-dev
      Conflicts: <bcmwl-modaliases>
      Conflicts: <bcmwl-modaliases:i386>
      Replaces: <bcmwl-modaliases>
      Replaces: <bcmwl-modaliases:i386>
      Conflicts: bcmwl-kernel-source:i386
    so you may need to download and install more than just the one package. BTW, many of them might be on the install source so you may not need to download everything.

Please Read Me

Comment

Another option might be to acquire and use a USB-to-ethernet adapter until the wifi is working.

Please Read Me

Comment

Well Kubuntu 14.04.3 already installed and working flawlessly, I just brought the laptop home and used a wired connection. Now there is another issue, this computer comes with a Broadcom 43142 Wifi chip + Bluetooth Hybrid adapter so Wireles works well but Bluetooh shows "no adapter found", I wish I could find some info about how to make bluetooth to work on this computer. Thank you very much for your help!

Comment

Working...
        X