X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Canonical Kills Desktop Ubuntu Software Center, Focuses on Mobile Apps"

Just read this,
    Canonical Kills Desktop Ubuntu Software Center, Focuses on Mobile Apps
    , and am wondering what thoughts my fellow K users might have about it.
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Diversification of packages is what stops software developers from supporting Linux. I think unified system would be ok. This topic was discussed for years. I think Snappy is a good idea and a step in a right direction. The time will show if implementation is good or not.

Why Linux Sucks - about packaging - start from 14:14
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh-cnaJoGCw

Probably introducing Snappy means that Kubuntu will drop Muon Discover, not so fast but eventually or they will function concurrently.

Comment

I'll just drop this here.

No, Canonical Is Not Killing the Ubuntu Software Center - Softpedia

Comment

Originally posted by WaltS48 View Post
        And then there's Canonical is letting the Ubuntu Software Center wither and die.

They all seem to say basically the same thing, but their headlines spin it differently.
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

never use it ,,,,,don't care .

"apt search" & "apt show" give me about all I need as far as finding stuff goes.

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
            never use it ,,,,,don't care .

"apt search" & "apt show" give me about all I need as far as finding stuff goes.

VINNY
            Which is what most Kubuntu power users do ... but newbies need a GUI to the repository or they will get frustrated trying to install an app and just move to another distro or back to Win or Mac. Synaptic is still in the repository and IMO it is still the best GUI front end to the repository. Also, I think the articles confuse the difference between the repository and the front end to it.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              Which is what most Kubuntu power users do ... but newbies need a GUI to the repository or they will get frustrated trying to install an app and just move to another distro or back to Win or Mac. Synaptic is still in the repository and IMO it is still the best GUI front end to the repository. Also, I think the articles confuse the difference between the repository and the front end to it.
              +1 to that ...
              Hope this helps. Steve ...
              Nothing travels faster than the speed of light, except bad news.
              Shuttle XS35 - Intel Atom 1.6 - 4GB Ram - 500GB HDD - Linux Kubuntu

Comment

Hey, it's not just newbies! It's old geezers--old, text-based terminals only, geezers who've used *nix for 30-ish years--like me who use Synaptic too! I love being able to aimlessly browse its HUGE lists of apps, often finding something I didn't even know I wanted. Oh, sure, if I'm in a hurry I'm at a CLI typing 'apt-get blah blah blah' but otherwise I'm in Synaptic.

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                  Hey, it's not just newbies! It's old geezers--old, text-based terminals only, geezers who've used *nix for 30-ish years--like me who use Synaptic too! ...
                  Psst! Shhhh! *whispers* So do I
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

OK then synaptic lovers ,,,,,,,(I like it to) ,,,,,but what is wrong with muon package manager ?
                    it is nearly identical to synaptic .

+ the package managers are not the same as the software centers ,,,, ubuntu's and muon discover ,,,,,that do showoff the top rated packages in a nice pretty way ,, and make it easy to find the usual things a new to *buntu user may want ,,,,,,,,,but do not show all packages.

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Psst! Shhhh! *whispers* So do I
                      *whispering* Your secret is safe with me, GG. *whispering*

Comment

+1 .. Agreed

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                          ,,, but what is wrong with muon package manager ?
                          it is nearly identical to synaptic .
                          I prefer muon too, because it looks better, and only requires authentication when necessary, rather than when you start it; half the time I'm using it as query tool. If I know which package I want I sudo apt install.

Regards, John Little
                          Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
                            Hey, it's not just newbies! It's old geezers--old, text-based terminals only, geezers who've used *nix for 30-ish years--like me who use Synaptic too! I love being able to aimlessly browse its HUGE lists of apps, often finding something I didn't even know I wanted. Oh, sure, if I'm in a hurry I'm at a CLI typing 'apt-get blah blah blah' but otherwise I'm in Synaptic.
                            I agree with the thinking but have found muon pack man to be good too. I do like to peruse the lists in a non-console method occasionally.
                            Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Working...
                            X