This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which driver for AMD R9 380 Video card?

I just got a new R9 380 video card and I'm having troubles choosing a driver. The Xorg driver appears to be stable, but somewhat lacking (very slow, won't turn off my monitor when idle, and I can't find a way to configure multiple monitors with it). The proprietary AMD driver fixes all of these problems but when I use it, Plasma crashes frequently, forcing me to turn the computer off and back on several times a day. Am I missing something with either driver that would make one or the other more usable?

My suggestion would be to go with 14.04 as my system runs well with the proprietary AMD drivers... and plasma 4 is solid. Not so sure the same can be said for plasma 5...

I have 2 - 7870's in crossfire
    Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

A brief investigation on the R9 380 gpu seems to indicate poor Linux support in general, at the moment.

If you haven't yet, do try upgrading plasma with the kubuntu-backports ppa, which may reduce or eliminate plasma crashies.
      I am sure that there are plenty of tweaks to try with a custom xorg.conf config, but I would not know where to start anymore, it has been some time since I have had to wrestle with AMD graphics

Comment

Working...
      X